CHURCH OF ST CLEMENT

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1254463

Date first listed: 20-Jun-1988

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST CLEMENT, ST CLEMENTS ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST CLEMENT
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1254463 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Nov-2018 at 05:12:39.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST CLEMENT, ST CLEMENTS ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Manchester (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SJ 81254 93802

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 89 SW MANCHESTER ST CLEMENT'S ROAD (West side) 698-1/8/585 Chorlton-Cum-Hardy

20.16.1988 Church of St Clement

II

Church. 1861, by Pennington and Bridgen, with south transept and chancel of 1895 by W.Higginbottom. Coursed squared, sandstone rubble, slate roof with bands of fishscale slates. Geometric Gothic Revival style. Five-bay aisled nave with south-west tower, north-west porch, north and south transepts, 2-bay chancel. The tower has an octagonal belfry stage with shafts to trefoil-headed windows, and a short spire divided in to 2 stages by an arcade of lucarnes. The west end has a cusped west doorway moulded in 2 orders, with foliated caps to the shafts (now flanked by inserted windows). The aisles have 2-light windows, the north aisle has a timber-framed gabled porch of muscular design, and the nave has a clerestory of multifoiled oculi. The transepts have 3-light windows; and the chancel has a 5-light east window with a large multifoil in the head and a hoodmould with figured stops. Interior: altered, the west bays enclosed and a floor inserted, the remainder re-oriented; aisle arcades of 2-centred arches on alternately round and octagonal columns; clustered piers to former chancel; open-truss roofs to nave and chancel; very colourful stained glass in east window.



Listing NGR: SJ8125493802

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 457290

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing