OWEN'S MANSION

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1254478

Date first listed: 10-Jan-1953

Statutory Address: OWEN'S MANSION, 23 AND 24, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of OWEN'S MANSION
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1254478 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Nov-2018 at 20:33:04.

Location

Statutory Address: OWEN'S MANSION, 23 AND 24, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Shropshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Shrewsbury

National Grid Reference: SJ 49159 12530

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SHREWSBURY

SJ4912NW HIGH STREET 653-1/11/353 (North East side) 10/01/53 Nos.23 AND 24 Owen's Mansion

GV II*

House, now shop. Dated 1569. Timber-framed with plain tiled roof. 3 storeys, 2-window range. Inserted shopfront occupies entire ground floor and continues across adjacent building, No.25 (qv). First floor has close studding with middle rail, and arched tension bracing. 2 late C19 mullioned and transomed oriel windows of 4 lights, with decorative lead cames. Jettied second storey with moulded bressumer and decorative panelling comprising a continuous series of cusped quatrefoils. Twisted shafts superimposed on vertical members, quatrefoils recessed in horizontals. Inscribed plaque in centre reads: "Erected by Richard Owen the Elder gentleman anno domini 1569". Two 3-light oriel windows beneath projecting gables with herringbone struts, and enriched barge-boards with figures as finials. Stack to rear left and on right hand gable. The building has formed part of a department store since at least the early C20.

Listing NGR: SJ4918612539

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 457326

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing