This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

MAPPIN ART GALLERY

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: MAPPIN ART GALLERY

List entry Number: 1254483

Location

MAPPIN ART GALLERY, WESTON PARK

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Sheffield

District Type: Metropolitan Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 28-Jun-1973

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 457336

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SHEFFIELD

SK3387SE WESTON PARK 784-1/21/913 (West side) 28/06/73 Mappin Art Gallery

II*

Art gallery. 1887, with addition to left, 1937, and rear addition 1961-65. By Flockton & Gibbs. 1961 addition by JL Womersley (City Architect). Ashlar and brick with asphalt roofs. Greek Revival style. Plinth, rusticated lower stage, entablature, angle pilasters. Single storey with recessed attic and higher square windowless central block with cornice. Raised projecting centre with 4-columned Ionic portico with decorated pediment topped by lion. Steps to central panelled double door with overlight. On either side a set back giant Ionic colonnade, 5 bays. Projecting blank apsidal ends. 1937 addition, in stripped Classical style has plinth, sillband, eaves cornice and parapet. 10 mullioned casements with plain stone surrounds. Left return has a slightly projecting centre with 5 blanks separated by pilasters, with a single blank bay each side. To right, a projecting pedimented entrance. INTERIOR has square entrance hall with moulded cornice and king post roof with moulded timbers and large scroll brackets. Pyramidal skylight. On either side, corniced doorcase with fanlights. Flanking exhibition halls have similar glazed roofs. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Yorkshire: The West Riding: London: 1967-: 459).

Listing NGR: SK3388587354

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Radcliffe, E, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire: The West Riding, (1967), 459

National Grid Reference: SK 33885 87354

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1254483 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Sep-2018 at 01:09:52.

End of official listing