Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Date of most recent amendment:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1254517.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 04-Dec-2021 at 12:12:19.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

City of Nottingham (Unitary Authority)
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
SK 57592 39606



SK5739NE HIGH PAVEMENT 646-1/21/275 (South side) 24/10/88 Shire Hall and adjoining county gaol (Formerly Listed as: HIGH PAVEMENT Shire hall and attached offices)


Shire hall and adjoining county gaol, now disused, with attached steps and railings. Designed 1769-70 by James Gandon and built 1770-72 by Joseph Pickford of Derby. Eastern addition 1875-76 by W Bliss Sanders. Remodelled and extended to west 1876-79 by TC Hine, following a fire. Beneath, and at the rear, extensive rock-hewn caves and cells, C18 and earlier, and various C19 brick additions, including retaining walls to the cliff. Ashlar, with ashlar dressings and slate roofs with skylights. Neo-Classical style with additions in Italian Renaissance style. EXTERIOR: largely original central block has a deep dentillated cornice and pierced balustrade. 2 storeys; 7 window range. Projecting centre, 3 bays, divided by giant Ionic half-columns. Central round-arched doorway with keystone and panelled double doors, flanked by C19 round-arched cross casements. Above, a rectangular blank panel flanked by roundels, all with moulded surrounds. The frieze is decorated with Roman symbols of justice, and above the cornice is a panelled parapet containing an inscribed datestone. Beyond, on each side, 2 round-arched doorways with pediments on brackets, panelled doors and fanlights. Above, 2 rectangular blank panels. In front, 3 parallel flights of steps. To left, addition, 1875-76, with rusticated basement, sill bands, string course, moulded cornice and pierced balustrade. 2 storeys plus basement; 3 window range. Projecting central entrance bay flanked on each floor by paired Ionic columns and topped with a panelled parapet and the City coat of arms. Round-arched doorway with keystone, with panelled double doors and fanlight. On either side, a round-arched window, the left one fronted by a balustraded balcony. Under the windows, round-arched doorways with mask keystones. Above, 3 blanks with moulded surrounds, the central one round-arched. In front, steps up to the central door flanked by short ashlar balustrades with panelled piers, 2 of them topped with cast-iron lamps. Beyond, steps down to the basement, with pairs of wrought-iron gates. To right, a projecting stair turret, 1876, topped with a square lead dome and cast-iron crest. Rusticated basement, paired Ionic angle pilasters, dentillated cornice, pierced balustrade. On each side, a round-arched cross mullioned window under a pediment, and above it, a blank panel. Above again, a pedimented dormer with a round-arched cross casement. To left, an entrance with wrought-iron gate and overthrow. INTERIOR has a central entrance hall, 2 storeys, with round-arched arcades on 3 sides, with round columns and waterleaf capitals. To east, County Court, refitted 1876, with raised public galleries on 3 sides, with 2 pairs of Ionic columns in antis between square Ionic piers. Complete wooden fittings of 1876, including dock, jury box, judge's throne, and seating for court officials. To west, Civil Court, 1876, 2 storeys, with raised octagonal round-arched arcade with marble columns. Complete original fittings including brass gas lamps. Coffered ceiling with central skylight. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Nottinghamshire: London: 1979-: 225; Get to know Nottingham: Brand K: The Shire Hall and old County Gaol: Nottingham).

Listing NGR: SK5759239606


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Williamson, E, The Buildings of England: Nottinghamshire, (1979), 225
Brand, K, 'Get To Know Nottingham' in The Shire Hall An Old County Gaol, ()


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 05 Apr 2006
Reference: IOE01/15252/20
Rights: Copyright IoE Dr Eric Ritchie. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].