THE BRITANNIA PUBLIC HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1254578

Date first listed: 13-Jun-1988

Statutory Address: THE BRITANNIA PUBLIC HOUSE, 26, WORKSOP ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE BRITANNIA PUBLIC HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1254578 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Nov-2018 at 05:36:25.

Location

Statutory Address: THE BRITANNIA PUBLIC HOUSE, 26, WORKSOP ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Sheffield (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SK 38029 88847

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SHEFFIELD

SK38NE WORKSOP ROAD 784-1/6/799 (South West side) 13/06/88 No.26 The Britannia Public House

II

House, now public house. Dated 1772, with mid C19 and early C20 alterations and additions. Colourwashed brick with rendered left gable and steep pitched slate roof with 4 gable stacks, one of them external, and a single lateral stack. 3 storeys; 2 window range. Double range plan. Two C20 casements with splayed lintels and above, two 12 pane sashes. Below, an early C20 single storey addition with wooden pilastered front with blocking course. Central smaller Tudor arched window flanked by single 3-light windows. To right, a set back door. Right gable has the date 1772 in raised brickwork. 2 storey addition to right has a C20 2-light casement and below, two 4 pane sashes. INTERIOR has public bar refitted mid and late C20. This building was the home of Benjamin Huntsman, inventor of crucible steel making. His first commercial workshop was probably at this site.

Listing NGR: SK3802988847

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 457519

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing