WADSLEY PARISH CHURCH

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1254580
Date first listed:
28-Jun-1973
Date of most recent amendment:
12-Dec-1995
Statutory Address:
WADSLEY PARISH CHURCH, WORRALL LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of WADSLEY PARISH CHURCH
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1254580.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Nov-2019 at 18:02:51.

Location

Statutory Address:
WADSLEY PARISH CHURCH, WORRALL LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Sheffield (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SK 32158 90694

Details

SHEFFIELD

SK39SW WORRALL LANE, Wadsley 784-1/1/905 (North East side) 28/06/73 Wadsley Parish Church (Formerly Listed as: WORRALL ROAD, Wadsley Wadsley Parish Church)

GV II

Parish church. 1833-34. By Joseph Potter. Restored following a fire, 1885. Vestry dated 1897. Ashlar with slate roofs. Gothic Revival style. PLAN: west tower with spire, nave with aisles, chancel, south-east porch, north-east vestry. EXTERIOR: chamfered plinth, angle buttresses, coped parapets. Short chancel has blank sides. East end has graduated triple lancet and above, a central oval window with hoodmould. 6-bay buttressed aisles have single lancets in each bay and at the west ends. South aisle has a gabled figure niche in the east end. North aisle has a similar niche with a squat lancet below it. Gabled south-east porch has chamfered pointed doorway, and a single lancet in each side. 3 stage west tower has angle buttresses up to the second stage, string courses, traceried corbel table, and octagonal broach spire with a single tier of lucarnes. West side has a chamfered doorway with a bracket lamp above it, and above again, a gabled niche. North and south sides have a single lancet. Second stage has a clock to west and a single lancet to north and south. Bell stage has a single lancet opening each side. Parapeted flat-roofed north-east vestry has to north two 2-light mullioned windows, and to east a square chamfered doorway, all with hoodmoulds. INTERIOR has double chamfered chancel arch with conical imposts. Chancel has principal rafter roof and patterned stained glass. 6-bay nave has 4-centred arched arcades with hoodmoulds and stops, and fluted octagonal iron piers with moulded capitals and bases. On 3 sides, wooden gallery with traceried front panel. Principal rafter roof with arch braces and short wooden wall shafts. Aisles have similar lean-to roofs. South aisle has a single stained glass window, 1866. Tower porch and vestibule have half-glazed doors and 2 plain stone winder stairs. Fittings include wooden reredos in Decorated style, traceried panelled benches, C19. Pulpit and reading desk C20. Memorials are C19 wall tablets. Wooden war memorial tablet with marble panel, c1920. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Yorkshire: The West Riding: London: 1967-: 459).

Listing NGR: SK3215890694

This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Register. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 30 October 2017.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
457521
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Radcliffe, E, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire: The West Riding, (1967), 459
Websites
War Memorials Register, accessed 30 October 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/27991

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 12 Jan 2002
Reference: IOE01/05944/11
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Barbara A West. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].