CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN AND ALL SOULS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1254584
Date first listed:
30-Nov-1995
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN AND ALL SOULS, HIGHBURY ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN AND ALL SOULS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1254584.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Nov-2019 at 13:28:15.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN AND ALL SOULS, HIGHBURY ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
City of Nottingham (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SK 54190 45039

Details

NOTTINGHAM

SK54NW HIGHBURY ROAD, Bulwell 646-1/1/277 (North East side) Church of St Mary the Virgin and All Souls

GV II

Parish church. 1849-50. By HI Stevens of Derby. North chapel 1946, alterations 1978 by E Vernon Royle. Rubble stone with ashlar dressings and concrete tile roofs. Gothic Revival style. PLAN: chancel, organ chamber, north chapel and vestry, nave with aisles and porches, west tower. EXTERIOR: plinth, buttresses, coped gables. Windows mainly have pointed arches and hood moulds. Chancel has a 4-light east window with intersecting tracery, and on each side, a 2-light window. Organ chamber, to south, has a 2-light window with Y tracery, similar to the aisle windows. North chapel, flat roofed, has a flat-headed mullioned window, 2 lights. Adjoining vestry has 2-light window to north and door to west. Nave clerestory has on each side five 3-light mullioned windows with flat heads. Aisles, 5 bays, have 2-light windows with Y tracery, and moulded parapets. West ends, and north aisle east end, have similar windows. North aisle has in the fourth bay a shallow gabled porch, 1978, replacing the window. South aisle has in the second bay a gabled porch with moulded pointed arched doorway and hood mould. West tower, 4 stages, has angle buttresses up to the bell stage, octagonal north-west stair turret, and crenellated parapet. Pointed arched west door with hood mould, and to its right, 2 large bronze war memorial tablets. Above the door, a 3-light window with intersecting tracery. Traceried single lancets to north and south. Above again, on 3 sides, a slit light and clock. Bell stage has a 2-light louvred opening on each side. INTERIOR: rendered. Chancel has moulded arch with responds, and wagon roof with ribs. East end has C19 stained glass window and elaborate alabaster reredos, Decorated style, 1900, and traceried alabaster panelling, 1912. North side has a stained glass window and a doorway. South side has a plain window and a shouldered opening containing an organ case, dated 1872. Nave has arcades with double chamfered arches and octagonal piers, and arch braced king post roof. The 2 west bays are separated by a full height partition, 1978, to form meeting rooms. The upper part contains 3 glazing bar windows with a round window above them. Aisles have lean-to roofs. North aisle has 2 windows with stained glass, 1990 and 1992, and stained glass east window, 1872. South aisle has to east a traceried stone screen, 3 lights, and stained glass south windows, C19 and 1928. Fittings include traceried octagonal font and bracketed cover, traceried stalls with poppyheads, square ended benches and brass eagle lectern, all C19. Traceried octagonal ashlar pulpit, 1891. Other fittings C20. Memorials include various small tablets, early C19 to early C20, and painted ashlar cartouche in C18 style, dated 1919-21. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Nottinghamshire: London: 1979-: 267).

Listing NGR: SK5419045039

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
457256
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Williamson, E, The Buildings of England: Nottinghamshire, (1979), 267

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 19 Aug 2005
Reference: IOE01/14580/10
Rights: Copyright IoE Dr Eric Ritchie. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].