PARKHEAD HALL AND ADJOINING FORMER STABLE YARD AND COACH HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1254590
Date first listed:
12-Dec-1995
Statutory Address:
PARKHEAD HALL AND ADJOINING FORMER STABLE YARD AND COACH HOUSE, ECCLESALL ROAD SOUTH

Map

Ordnance survey map of PARKHEAD HALL AND ADJOINING FORMER STABLE YARD AND COACH HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1254590.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Nov-2019 at 23:49:51.

Location

Statutory Address:
PARKHEAD HALL AND ADJOINING FORMER STABLE YARD AND COACH HOUSE, ECCLESALL ROAD SOUTH

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Sheffield (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SK 31899 83224

Details

SHEFFIELD

SK38SW ECCLESALL ROAD SOUTH 784-1/9/300 (South East side) Parkhead Hall and adjoining former stable yard and coach house

II

Small country house and adjoining stable yard and coach house, now offices. 1864-65. By JB Mitchel Withers, for himself. Enlarged 1900 by RG Hammond and 1903 by Wyngard, Dixon & Sandford for Sir Robert Hadfield, steel manufacturer. Coursed squared stone with ashlar dressings and hipped plain tile roofs, with 3 ridge and 3 side wall coped stone stacks. Gothic Revival style. EXTERIOR: plinth, first floor windows. Windows are mainly casements with stone mullions. East front has projecting central 2 storey porch, with hipped roof and decorative finials. On the first floor, a 2-light pointed arch window with plate tracery, flanked by smaller single lancets with plainer tracery. Triple arched entrance with moulded arches, shafts, and linked hoodmoulds. Larger central opening has glazed double door with fanlight, flanking arches have single windows. Outside, stone steps. To left, a small single lancet, and to its left, a buttressed external stack, flanked by allegorical reliefs in square panels. To left again, a canted corner with a single lancet above and a cross casement below. To right, a pointed arched recess with double lancet flanked by relief panels, and below, a 3-light cross casement. Garden front, to south, has 2 bay addition to left in similar style. At each end, a canted 2 storey bay window topped with a finial. Right bay has a segmental pointed 3-light window flanked by single lancets, with linked hoodmould. Below, a 3-light cross casement, flanked by 2-light cross casements. Left bay has a flat-headed 3-light window with label mould, flanked by single light windows. Below, a 3-light cross casement flanked by a 2-light cross casement to left and a similar window altered to a French window to right. At the rear, a small stable yard, enclosed by a coped wall with a central segmental pointed carriage gateway with shouldered coped gable. To right, a single coach house with truncated pyramidal roof. INTERIOR not inspected. Building vacant at time of survey. (Researches of G Hague, Sheffield City Council).

Listing NGR: SK3189983224

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
457538
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 20 Mar 2001
Reference: IOE01/03625/35
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Barbara A West. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].