19,20 AND 20A, MARDOL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1254608
Date first listed:
10-Jan-1953
Date of most recent amendment:
17-Nov-1995
Statutory Address:
19,20 AND 20A, MARDOL

Map

Ordnance survey map of 19,20 AND 20A, MARDOL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1254608.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2019 at 18:53:12.

Location

Statutory Address:
19,20 AND 20A, MARDOL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Shropshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Shrewsbury
National Grid Reference:
SJ 49014 12626

Details

SHREWSBURY

SJ4912NW MARDOL 653-1/11/400 (South West side) 10/01/53 Nos.19, 20 AND 20A (Formerly Listed as: MARDOL (West side) Nos.20 AND 21)

GV II

Pair of shops with offices over. Originally 2 dwellings possibly incorporating shops. Dated 1706. Render over brick with plain tiled roof. 3 storeys with attic dormers, 7-window range. Inserted late C20 shop fronts each side of original entrance arch giving access to internal passage. Dated on string course over, the string course interrupted by the shop fronts. First-floor windows are inserted 3-light metal casements. Shallow band beneath second-floor windows which are largely 12-pane sashes although the fenestration is interrupted in the right-hand section, and the windows there are renewed. Moulded wood modillion eaves cornice, angle quoins. Central rainwater goods with enriched lead head. 4 hipped dormer windows in roof. Gable and axial stacks.

Listing NGR: SJ4901412626

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
457579
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 10 Apr 2003
Reference: IOE01/10231/09
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr M. I. Joachim. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].