MEMORIAL NURSES' HOME

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1254651
Date first listed:
30-Nov-1995
Statutory Address:
MEMORIAL NURSES' HOME, KING CHARLES STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of MEMORIAL NURSES' HOME
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1254651 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Sep-2019 at 09:40:53.

Location

Statutory Address:
MEMORIAL NURSES' HOME, KING CHARLES STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
City of Nottingham (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SK 56852 39592

Details

NOTTINGHAM

SK5639NE KING CHARLES STREET 646-1/19/305 (West side) Memorial Nurses' Home

GV II

Nurses' home. 1921-23. By Evans, Cartwright & Woollett of Nottingham. Red brick, with ashlar dressings and hipped green slate mansard roofs. 6 coped brick side wall stacks. Stripped Classical style. Plinth, main cornice, coped parapet forming a balcony to the upper attics. Windows are mainly paired glazing bar sashes with slightly segmental rubbed brick heads, burnt brick surrounds, and keystones. Attics have similar, smaller windows with flat heads. 3 storeys plus attics; 15 bays, arranged 1:5:3:5:1. Single range, with symmetrical facade with projecting centre and end bays. Central portico, 3 storeys, 3 bays, with giant Ionic columns in antis, and bronze lettering to the frieze reading "1914 in remembrance 1918". Under the portico, 3 cross framed French windows. Above, 4 windows flanked by wreaths, under a low pitched gable with a bronze crest and crossed flags. Upper attic has 3 windows. On each side, single windows, then 3 pairs of windows to each floor and attics. End bays are defined by giant pilasters, with a single pair of windows. At the rear, a central portico, 2 storeys, with double Ionic columns and open pediment. On each side, regular fenestration, with double windows in the end bays. At the east end, a flat roofed projection, single storey, with parapet with tile detail.

Listing NGR: SK5685239592

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
457418
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 17 Mar 2005
Reference: IOE01/05003/10
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter Holt. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].