THE PARADE SHOPPING CENTRE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1254655

Date first listed: 30-May-1969

Date of most recent amendment: 17-Nov-1995

Statutory Address: THE PARADE SHOPPING CENTRE, ST MARY'S PLACE

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE PARADE SHOPPING CENTRE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1254655 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Nov-2018 at 15:44:56.

Location

Statutory Address: THE PARADE SHOPPING CENTRE, ST MARY'S PLACE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Shropshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Shrewsbury

National Grid Reference: SJ 49382 12570

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SHREWSBURY

SJ4912NW ST MARY'S PLACE 653-1/11/585 (East side) 30/05/69 The Parade Shopping Centre (Formerly Listed as: ST MARY'S PLACE (East side) Royal Salop Infirmary)

GV II

Former infirmary, now in use as shopping arcade. 1826-30. By Edward Haycock (but attributed to Robert Smirke by Colvin). Ashlar faced. Greek Revival style. 3 storeys and attic, central range of 5 bays (2-1-5-1-3), alternately advanced and recessed. Outer bays have narrow 12-pane sash windows,and the next advanced bays have tripartite sashes with pedimented heads to ground floor, and stressed pilasters with recessed panels in parapet above cornice. Central recessed range of 5 bays has massive paired fluted Doric columns to pedimented portico with triglyph frieze. This contains glazed central door with side lights, and tripartite sash window above. 12-pane sash windows above the portico, and cornice over, with inscription reading: "Salop Infirmary established 1745. Supported by voluntary subscriptions and donations. Rebuilt 1830. E. Haycock Architect". Recessed mansard roof behind probably a C20 addition. Recessed each side of this main range are further blocks of 3 bays with arcaded entrance in the left-hand block, and central pedimented doorway in the right. The left-hand block links to a later addition of 1908-10, four storeys, 4-pane sash windows with angle pilasters and cornice. In the rear elevation, cast-iron balconies run between projecting bays on each floor.

Listing NGR: SJ4938012568

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 457682

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing