CHURCH OF ST PETER

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1254684
Date first listed:
03-Oct-1974
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER, STOCKPORT ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1254684 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Oct-2019 at 17:50:49.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER, STOCKPORT ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Manchester (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SJ 87419 94359

Details

MANCHESTER

SJ89SE STOCKPORT ROAD, Levenshulme 698-1/9/726 (East side) Church of St Peter

II

Church. 1860, by Alfred G.Fisher, enlarged 1872 and 1896. Coursed sandstone rubble, steeply-pitched slate roof. Early English style. Nave with south-west steeple and north porch, chancel with north vestry. The tower has buttresses, a 2-centred arched west doorway with deeply moulded surround and recessed cusped opening, a small lancet high above this, a weathered band to the belfry stage which is slightly set back and has a small 2-light louvred window and a clock-face under an unusual inverted-V-shaped crocketed mould which terminates as a gablet in the foot of the spire; and a broach spire with 2 ornamented bands and a weathervane. The adjoining west gable of the nave has a large 2-centred arched 5-light window with elaborate geometrical tracery, and the west end of the aisle has a smaller 3-light window with simpler tracery. The 5-bay nave has small clerestory windows of 2 cusped lights; the aisle has 2-centred arched windows with geometrical tracery and mouchettes, and in the 2nd bay a large gabled porch with low eaves, moulded doorway and coped gable. Interior not inspected.

Listing NGR: SJ8741994359

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
457760
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 03 Jan 2005
Reference: IOE01/12600/04
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Riley. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].