CONDUIT HEAD

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1254701

Date first listed: 30-May-1969

Date of most recent amendment: 17-Nov-1995

Statutory Address: CONDUIT HEAD, NOBOLD LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CONDUIT HEAD
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1254701 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Nov-2018 at 02:13:27.

Location

Statutory Address: CONDUIT HEAD, NOBOLD LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Shropshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Shrewsbury

National Grid Reference: SJ4723411160

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ41 SE 653-1/4/767 30/05/69

SHREWSBURY NOBOLD LANE, Radbrook (East side) Conduit head (Formerly Listed as: The Broad Well Conduit House)

II

Conduit head. Original structure late C16 with later alterations. Roughly coursed and squared red sandstone with timber-framed trusses in each gable and plain tiled roof. Small gabled structure comprising a single chamber accessed by small inserted doorway in gable, with brick lined water tank inside. Gables have cambered trusses with bracing and collar, and are slatted. HISTORICAL NOTE: the conduit head was a collecting tank associated with 9 wells in the vicinity, and provided a source of water for the town of Shrewsbury from 1556, the present building probably completed by 1578. Water was piped from this site, known as Broadwell, to several points within the town. The system was established under licence to the Corporation, and was acquired by the Corporation in 1878. It remained in use until 1947. Some of the urban conduit heads associated with this system still survive (Betton Street, Porthill Road, St Michael's Street, Sundorne Road, Town Walls (qv)).

Listing NGR: SJ4723411160

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 457785

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing