Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1254815.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 04-Dec-2021 at 20:04:29.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Sheffield (Metropolitan Authority)
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
SK 35715 87398



SK3587SE FITZALAN SQUARE 784-1/25/321 (South side) 28/06/73 Head Post Office and attached railing


Post office and attached railing. 1893, with addition in sympathetic style, 1910. By J Williams. Ashlar with ashlar and granite dressings. Hipped slate roof to main block, and slate mansard roof to addition. Single coped stone ridge stack. Free Classical style. EXTERIOR: 3 storeys plus attics; 7 bays. Recessed centre has five 12 pane sashes, the ground floor ones with balustrades below them, pediments and keystones. Giant order of engaged Ionic columns with pulvinated frieze and dentilled cornice topped with pierced balustrade. Attic storey has 5 similar sashes divided by plain pilasters. Above the eaves cornice, 5 box dormers with 4-pane casements. On either side, a heavily rusticated entrance bay with giant pilasters, and dentilled cornice and half-round pediment. First floor has a 12 pane sash flanked by single 8 pane sashes, divided by paired Doric columns. In the pediment, a segment-headed tripartite window. Coved round-arched entrance with scrolled keystone and entrance portico with blocked granite columns and dentilled cornice. Above it, a Diocletian window. Round corner tower, to right, topped with a dome supported by consoles, has banded lower stages with two stepped 8 pane stair windows with cornices. Attic storey has three 12 pane sashes divided by paired Doric columns, and moulded stepped cornice. Ground floor has a Diocletian window with posting boxes below it. Right return has a bay similar to the entrance bays, with a ground floor transomed Diocletian window with post boxes below it. To right, 1910 addition. 3 storeys plus attics; 10 bays. Nine 12 pane sashes with moulded surrounds, those to the ground floor with cornices and ornamented keystones. Pulvinated frieze and dentilled cornice. Attic storey has similar smaller windows, with string course and moulded cornice. Mansard has 8 box dormers with 9 pane sashes. Outside, a wrought-iron railing with corniced ashlar piers. To right, an entrance bay similar to those of the main block, but without the pediment. Diocletian window to ground floor. INTERIOR has a marble panelled main hall with enriched cross beam ceiling and cornice. Doorcases with dentilled cornices. Cantilever stone spiral stair with wrought-iron balustrade. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Yorkshire: The West Riding: London: 1967-: 453).

Listing NGR: SK3571587398


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Radcliffe, E, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire: The West Riding, (1967), 453


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 26 Mar 2006
Reference: IOE01/15430/05
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Barbara A West. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].