This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

FORMER NURSES' HOME

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: FORMER NURSES' HOME

List entry Number: 1254831

Location

FORMER NURSES' HOME, ST MARY'S PLACE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Shropshire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Shrewsbury

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 17-Jun-1993

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 458064

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SHREWSBURY

SJ4912NW ST MARY'S PLACE 653-1/11/584 (East side) 17/06/93 Former Nurses' Home

GV II

Former nurses' home, now disused. Dated 1910. Ruabon red brick with stone dressings and green slate roofs. 3 storeys and attic, with 4 storeys in outer bays. 9 unequal bays (2-4-1-2). Doorway in recessed 4-bay section: in pedimented architrave with Gibb's surround and bolection moulding over the pilasters inscribed "Nurses Home". Dated in cartouche below the pediment, 1910. Most windows are sashes with 6 panes over 2, with flat-arched gauged brick heads with stone keys. One oriel bay window at first floor in 4-bay range, carried on stone corbels and with balustraded parapet. Foundation stone below dated 1908. Tripartite windows with banded stone mullions in the central single bay, and Diocletian windows over in pedimented gable. Hipped roof over the advanced left hand bay, and pediment over right hand bay, also advanced. Mansard roof in central range. Stone quoins and string courses. Axial stacks with stone bands and arcaded decoration. Overhanging modillion eaves cornice.

Listing NGR: SJ4937712634

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SJ 49377 12634

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1254831 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Sep-2018 at 06:38:13.

End of official listing