SK54SW NUTHALL ROAD
646-1/3/456 (South West side)
Christ Church, Cinderhill
Parish church. 1856. By TC Hine of Nottingham. Octagonal choir
vestry, 1902. Rockfaced Bulwell stone with ashlar dressings
and slate roofs with coped gables. Gothic Revival style.
PLAN: chancel, vestry and organ chamber, nave with south porch
and bell turret, north aisle, choir vestry.
EXTERIOR: plinth, quoins, buttresses, traceried pointed arched
windows and doors with hood moulds. Chancel has a 4-light east
window and to south, a blocked priest's door with a single
lancet to east and a 2-light window to west. Lean-to vestry
has a lancet to east and door to north. Organ chamber has a
2-light window to north. Nave has gabled south porch with
moulded doorway and shafts, and single light flat-headed side
windows. To west, a 2-light window, to east 2 similar windows.
At the south-west corner, an octagonal bell turret with 2
lancets and 8 single bell openings under gables. Octagonal
spire with weathercock. West end has 2 lancets and above, a
triangular window. North aisle has four 2-light windows, and a
similar west window. Octagonal choir vestry has angle
buttresses and 6 lancets copied from the nave west end. Spire
roof with finial. Between the vestry and the nave, a corridor
with segmental pointed door.
INTERIOR: rendered. Chancel has double chamfered arch with
clustered shaft responds, and roof with arch braces simulating
a vault. North side has a segmental pointed opening to the
organ chamber, and a similar doorway to east. East end has a
shallow sanctuary with a stained glass window dated 1898.
South side has a recess and a blocked doorway fitted with
seats, and 2 stained glass windows, late C19.
Nave has scissor braced roof with collars, and a north arcade,
4 bays, with double chamfered arches on octagonal piers. South
side has a stained glass east window, C19 and a memorial
stained glass window, 1915. West end has pointed arched doors
to the bell turret and the vestry. North aisle has lean-to
roof, and at the east end, a cusped stone screen, 3 bays.
Vestry has strutted ribbed roof with centre post and boss, and
carved wooden corbels.
Fittings include octagonal font with figurative panels and
inscriptions, on clustered columns, and original stalls and
benches. Rood screen 1925, other fittings later C20. Memorials
include a marble and slate tablet, 1868.
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Nottinghamshire: London:
1979-: 266; Get to know Nottingham: Brand K: Thomas Chambers
Hine ; an architect of Victorian Nottingham: Nottingham: 20;
Church Guide: Nottingham).
Listing NGR: SK5399643216