THE OLD SCHOOL HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1254868

Date first listed: 10-Jan-1953

Date of most recent amendment: 17-Nov-1995

Statutory Address: THE OLD SCHOOL HOUSE, SCHOOL GARDENS

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE OLD SCHOOL HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1254868 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Nov-2018 at 19:33:31.

Location

Statutory Address: THE OLD SCHOOL HOUSE, SCHOOL GARDENS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Shropshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Shrewsbury

National Grid Reference: SJ 49345 12793

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SHREWSBURY

SJ4912NW SCHOOL GARDENS 653-1/11/604 (West side) 10/01/53 The Old School House (Formerly Listed as: SCHOOL GARDENS Premises occupied by H Hardy Limited)

GV II

Formerly known as: British Railways (Western Region) Engineer's Office SCHOOL GARDENS. Offices, formerly part of school. C16, refronted c1818 in neo-Tudor style by E and JH Haycock, for the then headmaster, Dr Samuel Butler. Painted brick with plain tiled roof. 2 storeys, advanced gable and projecting wing to right. Doorway in angle with hoodmould over archway, and full-height canted bay to its left, with embattled parapet. Upper windows are round-arched mullions of 1 and 2 lights, with hoodmoulds. Projecting wing has single-light mullion to ground floor, 2-lights above. INTERIOR: traces of earlier building survive, including an early C17 staircase with bulbous splat balusters. (Colvin H: A Dictionary of British Architects: London: 1978-).

Listing NGR: SJ4934712798

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 458181

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Colvin, H M, A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects 1600-1840, (1978)

End of official listing