BUILDING ADJACENT TO THE OLD SCHOOL HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1254870

Date first listed: 10-Jan-1953

Date of most recent amendment: 17-Nov-1995

Statutory Address: BUILDING ADJACENT TO THE OLD SCHOOL HOUSE, SCHOOL GARDENS

Map

Ordnance survey map of BUILDING ADJACENT TO THE OLD SCHOOL HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1254870 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Nov-2018 at 23:23:52.

Location

Statutory Address: BUILDING ADJACENT TO THE OLD SCHOOL HOUSE, SCHOOL GARDENS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Shropshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Shrewsbury

National Grid Reference: SJ 49338 12780

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SHREWSBURY

SJ4912NW SCHOOL GARDENS 653-1/11/606 (West side) 10/01/53 Building adjacent to The Old School House (Formerly Listed as: SCHOOL GARDENS Premises occupied by West Midlands and British Quarrying Co Ltd)

GV II

Formerly known as: Offices of the General Accident, Fire and Life Assurance Corporation Ltd SCHOOL GARDENS. Offices, originally part of Shrewsbury School. Part probably C16, but extensively rebuilt 1818, probably by E and JH Haycock. Painted brick with plain tiled roof, and remains of timber-framing internally. 2 storeys with attic, 3 bays with wide advanced gable to the left. Neo-Tudor style, with round-arched mullioned windows with hoodmoulds. 2-window range in gable, with small doorway to left, and 2-light mullioned windows on each floor. Main doorway to right of long range in stone embattled porch with 4-centred archway and Salop arms over it. Built into the walls of the porch are a number of antique sculptural fragments. Canted bay window with embattled parapet in the centre of the long range, and mullioned windows of 1 and 2 lights above. 2 coped gabled dormers with 2-light casement windows. INTERIOR: hallway and a rear ground-floor room incorporate C17 wall-panelling, probably not in situ, and not all original. The panelling in the rear room is carved with the names of former pupils of the school between 1843 and 1881. Some timber-framing has also been exposed internally. (Colvin H: A Dictionary of British Architects: London: 1978-).

Listing NGR: SJ4933812778

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 458182

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Colvin, H M, A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects 1600-1840, (1978)

End of official listing