14 AND 14A, THE SQUARE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1254924
Date first listed:
10-Jan-1953
Date of most recent amendment:
17-Nov-1995
Statutory Address:
14 AND 14A, THE SQUARE

Map

Ordnance survey map of 14 AND 14A, THE SQUARE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1254924 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2019 at 07:38:08.

Location

Statutory Address:
14 AND 14A, THE SQUARE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Shropshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Shrewsbury
National Grid Reference:
SJ4912612423

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 13/09/2011

SJ4912SW 653-1/15/666 10/01/53

SHREWSBURY THE SQUARE (South West side) Nos.14 AND 14A

GV II

Shop, originally 2 dwellings. Oldest section early C18, with later addition to left. Left-hand section probably early C19, render over brick with plain tiled roof. 2 storeys, 5-window range with expressed architraves to renewed windows. Right-hand section dated 1713. Render over brick. 4 storeys, 2 window range, with casements with transoms in moulded architraves. Angle quoins, parapet eaves. Shopfront continuous with attached former house to left which after total rebuilding in 1960s is not included within the listing. Original number 14 was extended to rear to create more shop accommodation and retains on first floor a purpose built top-lit fashion showroom of c 1920 with round arched ceiling incorporating a long gabled skylight, a decorative tri-partite gable end window above the stairs and deep moulded cornice. The attached "Wightman Hall" is excluded from this item.

Listing NGR: SJ4912612423

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
458368
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 24 Nov 2002
Reference: IOE01/09687/18
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr M. I. Joachim. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].