FORMER FIRST CHURCH OF CHRIST SCIENTIST AND ATTACHED RAILINGS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1254933

Date first listed: 10-Jan-1953

Date of most recent amendment: 17-Nov-1995

Statutory Address: FORMER FIRST CHURCH OF CHRIST SCIENTIST AND ATTACHED RAILINGS, TOWN WALLS

Map

Ordnance survey map of FORMER FIRST CHURCH OF CHRIST SCIENTIST AND ATTACHED RAILINGS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1254933 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Nov-2018 at 12:12:40.

Location

Statutory Address: FORMER FIRST CHURCH OF CHRIST SCIENTIST AND ATTACHED RAILINGS, TOWN WALLS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Shropshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Shrewsbury

National Grid Reference: SJ 48977 12241

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SHREWSBURY

SJ4812SE TOWN WALLS 653-1/14/679 (South side) 10/01/53 Former First Church of Christ Scientist and attached railings (Formerly Listed as: TOWN WALLS (South side) The First Church of Christ Scientist)

GV II

Church, originally Methodist chapel and now in use as library. Dated 1834. Stucco over brick with low pitched roof not visible. High single storey, 5-window range. Facade articulated into bays by Corinthian pilasters. 2 doorways with fluted Doric pilasters and high pedimented heads flanked by round-arched windows with Doric pilasters set in round-arched recesses. High parapet with shallow central pediment and acroteria at each end. Cast-iron railings to basement area with urn finials. The chapel was first built for the Methodist New Connection.

Listing NGR: SJ4897712241

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 458381

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing