CHURCH OF ST GILES

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1254938

Date first listed: 10-Jan-1953

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST GILES, WENLOCK ROAD

Statutory Address: WENLOCK ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST GILES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1254938 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Dec-2018 at 16:40:13.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST GILES, WENLOCK ROAD

Statutory Address: WENLOCK ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Shropshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Shrewsbury

National Grid Reference: SJ 50730 11841

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SHREWSBURY

SJ51SW WENLOCK ROAD 653-1/5/691 (East side) 10/01/53 Church of St Giles

GV II*

Church. Foundation and some surviving structure of C12, extended successively thereafter, and extensively restored by Samuel Pountney Smith in 1860-63. Coursed and squared sandstone, with plain tiled roof. PLAN: nave with north aisle and chapel, chancel. EXTERIOR: western bellcote on gable, carried by central buttress pierced and flanked by lancet windows. South wall possibly largely C12, coursed and squared sandstone, raised later. Simple roll-moulded doorway in timber porch added in restoration. Trefoiled and plate traceried windows of 1 and 2 lights, inserted in restoration. Organ loft and chancel are additions of c1860. 4-light chancel east window in Decorated style. Single-storey polygonal vestry added 1893 by Lloyd Oswell. 2- and 3-light Decorated windows to north aisle, and 4-light west window. INTERIOR: nave arcade of four and a half bays, possibly C14, but restored. Cylindrical shafts carrying chamfered and roll-moulded arches with foliate respond to the east. Heavy timber roof structure, possibly C15, with curved principals and collar over tie beam. C19 chancel arch with marble shafts with stiff leaf capitals springing high from corbels. Keeled panelled chancel ceiling. North aisle largely c1860, with wide arch to eastern chapel, a C15 arch partially concealed behind a later one leading to chancel. FITTINGS: C12 font, with chevron base and primitive figures in an arcade round the basin. Other fittings largely date from restoration. STAINED GLASS by Kempe in west window, and chancel east and south windows. East window dated 1902, south window of 1931. West window of aisle has stained glass by David Evans. Flemish glass resited in north aisle chapel window. The church was established as a leper hospital chapel c1154-62, and incorporates the remains of this original building. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Shropshire: Harmondsworth: 1858-).

Listing NGR: SJ5072911845

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 458397

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Shropshire, (1958)

End of official listing