This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

THE ARMOURY

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE ARMOURY

List entry Number: 1254939

Location

THE ARMOURY, 1-4, WENLOCK ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Shropshire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Shrewsbury

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 19-Sep-1972

Date of most recent amendment: 17-Nov-1985

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 458399

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SHREWSBURY

SJ51SW WENLOCK ROAD 653-1/5/688 (West side) 19/09/72 Nos.1-4 The Armoury (Formerly Listed as: WENLOCK ROAD Group of houses at the Armoury)

II

Officer's house and workshops, now house and 3 cottages. c1806. For Shrewsbury Armoury. Brick with Welsh slate roofs. House of 2 storeys. 3-window range with central entrance. 6-panelled door in moulded architrave with triglyph frieze, flanked by 8-pane sash windows with wide splayed heads, Central upper window blind, flanked by 4-pane sashes. Continuous sill band to first floor. Plain stuccoed eaves band. Hipped roof. Cottages formerly workshops or stables and extensively altered. Lower 2 storeys, each a single-window range with doorways inserted into wide original openings with segmentally-arched heads. The armoury was built in 1806, and its architect was James Wyatt. (Colvin H: A Dictionary of British Architects: London: 1978-).

Listing NGR: SJ5089211497

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Colvin, H M, A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects 1600-1840, (1978)

National Grid Reference: SJ 50829 11680

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1254939 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Sep-2018 at 08:23:44.

End of official listing