THE RED HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1254982

Date first listed: 17-Nov-1995

Statutory Address: 71 AND 75, THE MOUNT

Statutory Address: THE RED HOUSE, 73, THE MOUNT

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE RED HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1254982 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Nov-2018 at 18:34:00.

Location

Statutory Address: 71 AND 75, THE MOUNT

Statutory Address: THE RED HOUSE, 73, THE MOUNT

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Shropshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Shrewsbury

National Grid Reference: SJ 47958 13086

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SHREWSBURY

SJ41SE THE MOUNT 653-1/4/792 (South side) Nos.71, 73 AND 75 The Red House (73)

II

Terrace of 3 houses. Dated 1902. By Frank Shayler, No.73, The Red House, for himself. Red brick with some tile hanging and plain tile roof with brick ridge and end stacks. Arts and Crafts style. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys and attic. 11-window range in all, Nos.71 and 73 are mirrors and each a 4-window range of 6/1 sashes with a 6/8 landing window. Ground floor has canted bay with 6/1 sashes, moulded brick doorcase with gabled hood supported on brackets and part-glazed door, and 4/4 sash. Two 2-light casements in tile-hung dormer. No.73 is a 3-window range of single-light casement, cross window with leaded lights, and 4-light casement, over single-light casement, and canted bay with casements. To centre left a moulded brick doorcase has part-glazed door, small bulls eye window to left both under a flat hood hung from brackets. Attics are treated as a 3rd storey with twin facing gables, two 4-light casements and tile hanging. Rear has mostly 2/2 sashes to Nos.71 and 75 but casements to No.73. INTERIOR: the almost unaltered interior of No.73 includes entrance hall with inglenook, which has settles either side and the bressummer of which is dated 1902 and inscribed 'Dulce Domum'. Stained glass and elaborate plaster frieze in Renaissance style. Sitting room has fireplace with 'Dutch' tiles and beaten copper fender. Dining room has similar fireplace with beaten copper insets and fender, all with heart motifs. Staircase has stick balustrade and decorative glazing to window. Bedrooms have finely detailed fireplaces with beaten copper fenders, one inscribed 'Mary' for the architect's daughter. 'Dutch' tile hearths and cast-iron grates. Doors have original fittings and some have decorative glazing. Attic room has exposed joists and plasterwork panel above fireplace showing Viking ships. Interiors of Nos.71 are 75 are reputed to contain similar but simpler detailing and entrance halls with inglenooks and settles.

Listing NGR: SJ4795813086

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 458349

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing