28, 29 AND 30, WYLE COP

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1254993

Date first listed: 10-Jan-1953

Date of most recent amendment: 17-Nov-1995

Statutory Address: 28, 29 AND 30, WYLE COP

Map

Ordnance survey map of 28, 29 AND 30, WYLE COP
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1254993 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Nov-2018 at 07:39:40.

Location

Statutory Address: 28, 29 AND 30, WYLE COP

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Shropshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Shrewsbury

National Grid Reference: SJ 49443 12352

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SHREWSBURY

SJ4912SW WYLE COP 653-1/15/715 (North side) 10/01/53 Nos.28, 29 AND 30 (Formerly Listed as: WYLE COP (North East side) Nos.28, 29 AND 30 Unicorn Hotel)

GV II

Formerly known as: Unicorn Hotel and Garage of Messrs. Wales & Edwards Ltd WYLE COP. 2 shops, formerly hotel. Late C16 with extensive restoration of 1890. Timber-framed with plain tiled roof. 2 and 3 storeys, 6-window range with central archway to rear courtyard dividing the building into 2 distinct sections. Framed in close studding with small quatrefoil panels and middle rail, and jettied upper storey. Left-hand section has inserted shop windows in traditional style with arched lights, and two 3-light oriel windows in the jettied upper floor. 3-light casements in paired gables which have barge-boards with pendant finials. Shop windows continue in return under archway. Single 4-light casement window over high central carriage archway. Right-hand section extensively modified in 1890. Ground floor is of brick with stone dressings. Doorway to left, and 2 windows with small leaded upper panes. Additional storey in this section beneath the jetty, taking account of sloping site. This has one 3-light oriel window, and a 3-light leaded mullioned and transomed window. Above the jetty, 3 mullioned and transomed windows of 3 and 4 leaded lights. Rear wings each side of the archway also partly timber-framed. Gable and axial stacks.

Listing NGR: SJ4944312352

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 458542

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing