WATERWORKS PUMPING STATION

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1254997

Date first listed: 30-Nov-1995

Statutory Address: WATERWORKS PUMPING STATION, ROPEWALK

Map

Ordnance survey map of WATERWORKS PUMPING STATION
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1254997 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Nov-2018 at 02:49:09.

Location

Statutory Address: WATERWORKS PUMPING STATION, ROPEWALK

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: City of Nottingham (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: SK 56445 40093

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NOTTINGHAM

SK5640SW ROPEWALK 646-1/12/540 (North East side) Waterworks pumping station

II

Waterworks pumping station, now workshop. 1850. For the Nottingham Waterworks Co. Red brick with ashlar dressings and hipped concrete tile roof. Gothic Revival style. Chamfered plinth, buttresses, modillion cornice, coped parapet. 2 storeys; 1 x 3 bays. Pointed arched openings with ashlar surrounds. Main entrance front, to south, has a segmental pointed doorway with late C20 doors and screen, flanked by angle buttresses. Above, a double lancet. Each side has a central buttress flanked by double lancets, and above, 3 single lancets. North side has a single lancet, and 2 smaller lancets above. At the north west corner, a square tower, 2 stages, formerly with a pyramidal roof. Modillion string course and moulded parapet. On the lower stage, diaper work and a single lancet. Upper stage has a single lancet on each side. This pumping station was the first of a series of pumping stations built to extract water from artesian wells to supplement the cities water supply. It worked till 1880, when Nottingham Corporation took control of the water undertakings. It was used as a garage from 1930. (Get to know Nottingham: Brand K: The Park estate, Nottingham: Nottingham: 1984-: 20; Plan of the Town Of Nottingham (etc): Salmon E: Nottingham: 1861-; City of Nottingham Water Department: Short History of the Waterworks: Nottingham: 1930-).

Listing NGR: SK5644540093

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 458546

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
City of Nottingham Water Department, , Short History of the Waterworks, (1930)
Brand, Ken, 'Get To Know Nottingham' in The Park Estate, (1984), 20

End of official listing