SK5739NW ST PETER'S GATE
646-1/20/614 (South side)
11/08/52 Church of St Peter with St James
(Formerly Listed as:
ST PETER'S GATE
Church of St Peter)
Church. C15, retaining C13 and mid C14 arcades. Nave and south
aisle reroofed 1501-09 by Nicholas Strelley. Extensively
damaged 1644. Chancel and north transept renewed 1875 by Evans
& Jolley. Vestries 1815 and 1936. Major restorations 1719,
1914, 1929, 1946. Ashlar with gabled and hipped slate roofs.
PLAN: chancel and vestries, north transept, nave with
clerestory, aisles, west tower and spire.
EXTERIOR: plinth, buttresses, crenellated parapets to nave and
Chancel, 3 bays, has plain parapet and coped gable. 7-light
pointed arched east window on sill band. South side has a
moulded doorway with hood mould, flanked by 3-light pointed
arched windows. Vestry, 1815, has to east a Decorated style
2-light window. Adjoining vestry, 1936, 2 bays, has a low
pitched roof behind a parapet. North transept has a coped
gable with a 3-light Perpendicular window. Clerestory, 5 bays,
has to south ten 3-light Perpendicular windows with bar
tracery. North side, renewed 1699, has plain elliptical arched
4-light windows. South aisle, 10 bays, has nine 3-light
pointed arched windows with transoms, the tracery renewed
1927. In the third bay, an elliptical arched doorway with ogee
hood mould, early C19. East and west ends have similar 4-light
windows. North aisle, 5 bays, has 3-light pointed arched
windows with hood moulds. In the fourth bay, a projecting
gabled porch, 1889, with pointed arched doorway.
West tower, mid C14, 3 stages, has angle buttresses,
crenellated parapet, and set back octagonal spire. West side
has a pointed arched doorway with late C20 doors, and above
it, a 3-light pointed arched window and an empty niche. Bell
stage has four 2-light pointed arched bell openings, each with
a clock dial below it.
INTERIOR: chancel has a double-coved arch with responds and a
Decorated style wooden screen dated 1897. To south, restored
rood loft openings. Panelled wagon roof, elaborately painted.
East window has stained glass, 1878. North side has a double
chamfered arch with traceried wooden screen and organ console,
1898, and a doorway. South side has piscina, sedilia and
doorway, and stained glass windows, mid C19.
Nave, 5 bays, has an arch braced low pitched roof on angel
corbels. West end has a tall double chamfered tower arch with
imposts and a glazed wooden screen and doors, 1887. Tower
chamber has a single bay rib vault and stained glass west
window, 1870. North arcade, c1360, restored 1495, possibly
raised early C18. Fillet moulded quatrefoil piers, double
chamfered arches with hood moulds and stops. South arcade,
C13, has quatrefoil piers and double chamfered arches with
hood moulds. Between the third and fourth bays, a section of
wall with a war memorial figure under a spire canopy, 1922.
North aisle has an off-centre doorway and 4 windows with
stained glass panels by John Bucknall, 1964. At the east end,
an organ case by Snetzler, 1770. South aisle has a stained
glass east window, 1874, and 2 west windows with stained glass
1976 by Margaret Traherne. Both aisles have lean-to roofs.
Fittings include C17 panelled font on a traceried C14 stem.
Mid C20 pulpit. Brass eagle lectern, 1894. Other furnishings
late C19, with former pews arranged as wainscotting.
Memorials include an obelisk with portrait medallion by Bacon,
1811, and several tablets from the Church of St James, resited
1933. 2 Renaissance Revival style alabaster tablets, early
C17. 2 tablets with drapery and crests, one with winged skull,
to the Rickards family, 1675 and 1703.
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Nottinghamshire: London:
1979-: 223-224; Church Guide: Derry A).
Listing NGR: SK5730539769
This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 24 January 2017.