CHURCH OF ST PAUL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1255027

Date first listed: 20-Jun-1988

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST PAUL, WILMSLOW ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PAUL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1255027 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Nov-2018 at 15:35:25.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST PAUL, WILMSLOW ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Manchester (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SJ 84950 92884

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

MANCHESTER

SJ89SW WILMSLOW ROAD, Withington 698-1/8/669 (East side) 20/06/88 Church of St Paul

II

Church. 1841, by Hayley and Brown, with chancel and chapel added 1864 by J.Lowe. Red brick, slate roof. Nave embracing west tower; chancel and chapel. Simplified neo-Norman style. The 3-stage tower has clasping corner pilasters with tall loop-light slots to the 2nd stage, a stone band to each stage, a corbel table to the 2nd stage, and a plain brick parapet with octagonal brick corner pinnacles finished with stone spierlets; a round-headed west doorway with shafts, paired belfry openings above a clock, and corner pinnacles. The 6-bay nave has clasping corner pilasters finished with stone cornices and ogival pyramidal stone caps, a very tall and narrow lancet at each side of the west end, and pilastered side walls with a tall round-headed lancet and a corbel table to each bay. The 3-bay chancel has round-headed windows. Interior: broad aisleless nave with west gallery (and C20 suspended ceiling); round-headed chancel arch with angel corbels and foliated capitals, and similar decoration to entrance of chapel; open-truss chancel roof; some Victorian stained glass; neo-Perpendicular pulpit, lectern, and chancel stalls; neo-Gothic font.

Listing NGR: SJ8495092884

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 458610

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing