This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

RUINS OF CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: RUINS OF CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

List entry Number: 1255058

Location

RUINS OF CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST, RACECOURSE ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: City of Nottingham

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 11-Aug-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 30-Nov-1995

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 458508

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NOTTINGHAM

SK63NW RACECOURSE ROAD 646-1/8/511 (South East side) 11/08/52 Ruins of Church of St John the Baptist (Formerly Listed as: COLWICK Ruins of Church of St John the Baptist)

GV II

Church, now roofless ruin. C14 and C15, chancel and tower 1684. Mid C19 alterations. Consolidated late C20. Ashlar and coursed squared stone. Windows unglazed. Chancel, north chapel, nave and west tower. Chancel, single bay, has string course and sill band. Single round-arched window to east and south. North chapel has a round-arched window to north and west. Nave, 2 bays, has buttresses, plinth and string course. On each side, 2 Perpendicular windows with a doorway between them. West tower, 2 stages, has shallow angle buttresses, plinth, string courses and crenellated parapet. Round-arched west window. Bell stage has a round-arched opening on each side. INTERIOR retains a double chamfered chancel arch, C14, and a similar brick arch to the north chapel. Round arch to tower. Monuments removed to Newstead and Annesley. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Nottinghamshire: London: 1979-: 251).

Listing NGR: SK6012539054

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Williamson, E, The Buildings of England: Nottinghamshire, (1979), 251

National Grid Reference: SK 60125 39054

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1255058 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Sep-2018 at 01:18:02.

End of official listing