ST MARY'S HOUSE AND ATTACHED WALL AND RAILINGS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1255060
Date first listed:
30-Nov-1995
Statutory Address:
ST MARY'S HOUSE AND ATTACHED WALL AND RAILINGS, 73, RALEIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of ST MARY'S HOUSE AND ATTACHED WALL AND RAILINGS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1255060 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Sep-2019 at 17:16:06.

Location

Statutory Address:
ST MARY'S HOUSE AND ATTACHED WALL AND RAILINGS, 73, RALEIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
City of Nottingham (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SK 56397 40568

Details

NOTTINGHAM

SK54SE RALEIGH STREET 646-1/4/514 (North West side) No.73 St Mary's House and attached wall and railings

II

House, now hostel, and attached wall and railings. 1870, by TC Hine for his son GT Hine. Converted late C20. Red brick, with ashlar and blue brick dressings and hipped slate roof. Windows are mainly plain sashes with brick segmental arches and ashlar springings. 2 storeys; 3 x 4 bays. Corner site. Symmetrical front with tripartite round-arched doorway and shafts, original 6-panel door and fanlight. On each side, a tripartite sash. Above, a small central window flanked by tripartite windows, all with deep sills on brackets. Each return has towards the front, a triangular bay window under a corbelled side wall stack. Left return has a tripartite sash, then a side door, then a set back block to left, 2 windows. Mainly tripartite sashes. Outside, fronting the left return, a brick area wall topped with a traceried cast-iron railing and gate. GT Hine was in partnership with his father, 1867-1890, and became Consulting Architect to HM Commissioners in Lunacy. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Nottinghamshire: London: 1979-: 240-241).

Listing NGR: SK5639740568

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
458514
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Williamson, E, The Buildings of England: Nottinghamshire, (1979), 240-241

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 17 Mar 2005
Reference: IOE01/13426/20
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Roy Millett. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].