FORMER STABLES AT OSBORNE HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1255100
Date first listed:
23-Jan-1987
Statutory Address:
FORMER STABLES AT OSBORNE HOUSE, WHIPPINGHAM ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of FORMER STABLES AT OSBORNE HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1255100 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Sep-2019 at 01:35:28.

Location

Statutory Address:
FORMER STABLES AT OSBORNE HOUSE, WHIPPINGHAM ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Isle of Wight (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
East Cowes
National Grid Reference:
SZ 51273 94653

Details

SZ59SW 947/7/136 23-JAN-87

EAST COWES WHIPPINGHAM ROAD Osborne House Former Stables at Osborne House

GV II*

Former stables to Osborne House. 1859-60 by J C Mann, Clerk of Works, and H R H Prince Albert; converted to Naval College 1903-4. Rendered brick, state roof. Quadrangular on plan. Central 2 storey entrance pavilion, flanked by formerly one storey, 8 bay wings, heightened to 2 storeys in c1904 for Royal Naval College. Gabled central entrance pavilion has moulded and keyed round arch; 2 leaf plank doors, formerly with flush panelling, now glazed panels. Flanking narrow 2-light ground floor windows. String course at impost level. Similar but smaller windows to mezzanine. Large tripartite window to first floor; sashes with glazing bars. Flanking panels bearing Royal coat of arms with roundel inscribed '1860' in gable. Projecting eaves. Flanking wings have 2 large 3-light ground floor windows with wooden mullions and 4 upper floor windows, all c1904 with sashes. Ridge stack to left and right of pavilion, c 1904 skylights to wings. Rear includes projecting ground floor entrance and upper floor Venetian window. Single storey ranges at rear, the sides originally with small 2-light round-headed windows, mostly converted on north side to segmental headed windows and enlarged on south side, and enlarged on south side and at rear. Around the inside of the yard originally there was a glazed canopy. INTERIOR: The main range has large rooms on either side of the central carriageway, the floors supported on thin iron posts, the upper rooms with sky-lights and iron-rod braced roof trusses. Two stairs with simple iron balustrades. SOURCE: PRO Work 37/139 and 140; work 15/135; Royal Archives, Windsor, PPOSB 159.

Listing NGR: SZ5127394653

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
458711
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 20 Jun 2005
Reference: IOE01/14577/28
Rights: Copyright IoE Tim Belcher. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].