BUILDING TO REAR OF NAG'S HEAD PUBLIC HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1255127

Date first listed: 19-Sep-1972

Statutory Address: BUILDING TO REAR OF NAG'S HEAD PUBLIC HOUSE, WYLE COP

Statutory Address: WYLE COP

Map

Ordnance survey map of BUILDING TO REAR OF NAG'S HEAD PUBLIC HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1255127 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Nov-2018 at 09:23:16.

Location

Statutory Address: BUILDING TO REAR OF NAG'S HEAD PUBLIC HOUSE, WYLE COP

Statutory Address: WYLE COP

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Shropshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Shrewsbury

National Grid Reference: SJ 49405 12356

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SHREWSBURY

SJ4912SW WYLE COP 653-1/15/742 (North side (off)) 19/09/72 Building to rear of Nag's Head Public House (Formerly Listed as: WYLE COP Timber-framed building adjoining the Nag's Head Inn)

GV II

House, now remains. c1400. Timber-framed with plain tiled roof. 2 storeys, what survives comprises screens passage and spere truss wall with room beyond the passage probably a later phase of construction, in gabled range running at right angles to rear wing of Nag's Head public house (qv). Front elevation comprises 3 bays of framing, a wide central bay flanked by narrower outer bays. Ground floor consists of 3 arches, the outer arches having ogee heads, simple chamfered arch to centre. These outer arches may have been modified to form doorways, as there are seatings for additional horizontal rails. Billet moulding on tie beam over, partly renewed. Above this, the outer bays are framed in square panels with quatrefoil and trefoil decoration. Simple struts in central section. Queen post and collar truss in gable with cusped braces. Collar purlin supports overhanging gabled roof carried on cusped brackets. Framing of side wall also incorporates possible doorway at first-floor level, with chamfered braces forming lintel. INTERIOR: flame-like carving to arched doorway in inner partition parallel with side wall. Approx 1m behind this wall, a second wall is framed in square panels and has cambered tie beam with close studding over. Inner roof truss has cambered tie beam and collar with short crown post with cusped bracing. The building is abutted by rear range of Nag's Head public house, but is a separate structure and probably the earlier of the two. This is only a fragment of a formerly larger dwelling, and some of the timbers in its present front wall are trenched for other members now missing. What survives is the screens passage of a former hall, demolished in c1967 and removed to the Avoncroft Museum of Buildings. (Country Life: Cornforth J: Five Centuries of Black and White: 1977-; Smith JT: Shrewsbury: Topography and Domestic Architecture to the mid C17: 1953-).

Listing NGR: SJ4940512356

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 458765

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Smith, J T, Shrewsbury Topography and Domestic Architecture to the Mid C17, (1953)
'Country Life' in Country Life, (1977)

End of official listing