CHRIST CHURCH

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1255147

Date first listed: 12-Dec-1995

Statutory Address: CHRIST CHURCH, HOLLINSEND ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHRIST CHURCH
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1255147 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Nov-2018 at 20:26:42.

Location

Statutory Address: CHRIST CHURCH, HOLLINSEND ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Sheffield (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SK 38485 83986

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SHEFFIELD

SK38SE HOLLINSEND ROAD 784-1/10/433 (North West side) Christ Church

GV II

Parish church. 1839. Chancel, vestry and organ chamber 1884, by John Dodsley Webster. Textured ashlar with ashlar dressings and slate roofs. Gothic Revival style. PLAN: chancel, vestry, nave, west tower. EXTERIOR: plinth, buttresses, coped gables, those to east with crosses. 2 bay chancel has flanking buttresses to east gable and graduated triple lancet. Below, to right, chamfered pointed arched door to basement. South side has 2 single lancets. Lean-to vestry, to north, has capped side wall stack. To north, pointed arched doorway flanked to west by a single lancet. 3 bay nave has 3 plain single lancets on each side, divided by slender buttresses. West tower, 3 stages, has plinth, string courses and renewed parapet with stumps of corner pinnacles. 2 clasping buttresses to west. Ground stage has to west a chamfered pointed arched doorway with hoodmould and mask stops and ornamental hinges. To north and south, a single lancet. Second stage blank. Bell stage has on each side a tall single lancet louvred opening, and to west a raised panel in the parapet containing a clock. INTERIOR: chancel, used as meeting room, has double coved arch with imposts, and late C20 glazed wooden screen and doors. Arch braced roof with corbels. East window has late C19 stained glass. South side has 2 windows. North side has moulded arch and moulded blocked doorway. Rendered nave has plaster ceiling with 3 rosette ventilators, and moulded stucco span beams with arch braces. To left of the chancel arch, a splayed pointed arched door. Porch, under tower, has cross beam ceiling and chamfered pointed arched doorways with studded board doors. Fittings include prayer desks, C19 and late C20, and late C20 lectern and font. Memorials include tablet with portrait medallion to Thomas Dunn, 1871, and 2 traceried wooden war memorial panels, 1918. (Researches by G Hague, Sheffield City Council).

Listing NGR: SK3848583986

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 458810

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing