This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

LOXLEY COLLEGE WALKLEY CENTRE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: LOXLEY COLLEGE WALKLEY CENTRE

List entry Number: 1255155

Location

LOXLEY COLLEGE WALKLEY CENTRE, HOWARD ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Sheffield

District Type: Metropolitan Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 12-Dec-1995

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 458823

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SHEFFIELD

SK38NW HOWARD ROAD 784-1/5/444 (North West side) Loxley College Walkley Centre

GV II

National school, now college of further education centre. Dated 1871, with later C19 addition and mid C20 alterations. Possibly by JG Weightman, designer of the adjacent Church of St Mary (qv), 1869. Rock-faced stone with ashlar dressings and slate roofs with coped gables and single ridge stack and conical ventilator. Gothic Revival style. H-plan. EXTERIOR: single storey; 8 window range. Windows have stone mullions. Symmetrical front with central gable with large external coped stack, with square inscribed plaque flanked by blank panels. String courses above and below the panels. Beyond, on either side, a Tudor arched 3-light window flanked by single Tudor arched cross casements. The lower parts of these windows are covered by a single storey lean-to addition between the wings, with coped parapet and 5 C20 casements. Gabled flanking wings have a Tudor arched 3-light cross mullioned window and above, a pointed arched recess containing a triangular ventilator. Left gable has on either side a C20 box dormer. Their inner sides have a catslide roof to a porch with chamfered pointed arched doorway and hoodmould. Right return, to Fir Street, has a central truncated external stack, with a plaque naming the vicar and churchwardens. To right, 2 Tudor arched cross casements. To left, a similar window, then a door. INTERIOR not inspected.

Listing NGR: SK3336888472

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SK 33368 88472

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1255155 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Sep-2018 at 06:45:16.

End of official listing