This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

OLD ANGEL PUBLIC HOUSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: OLD ANGEL PUBLIC HOUSE

List entry Number: 1255184

Location

OLD ANGEL PUBLIC HOUSE, STONEY STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: City of Nottingham

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 30-Nov-1995

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 458886

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NOTTINGHAM

SK5739NE STONEY STREET 646-1/21/634 (East side) Old Angel Public House

GV II

2 houses, now public house. c1800, altered 1878 by Lawrence Bright of Nottingham for W Robinson, and 1883 by H Walker for J Robinson. Restored late C20. Stucco with painted ashlar shopfront, stucco dressings and gabled and hipped slate roofs. 3 gable and single ridge brick stacks, rebuilt. Cornice to ground floor. 3 storeys; 4 x 3 windows. Corner site with corner entrance. Stoney Street front has to left a symmetrical facade, 3 windows. Ground floor, c1878, has a doorway and sidelights with granite shafts, and shouldered overlight flanked by roundels. Beyond, a shouldered window to right, and 2 similar windows to left, all with granite shafts. Above, 3 glazing bar sashes. Above again, a shaped panel with the name in raised lettering, flanked by smaller glazing bar sashes. To right, a single bay with a C19 window to the ground floor, with etched glass. Above, a glazing bar sash, and above again, a smaller sash, both with keystones. Right return, to Woolpack Lane, has to left a corner doorway and overlight. To right, a door altered to a window, flanked by sidelights and plain sashes with moulded surrounds. Above, to left, a glazing bar sash, and above it, a blank. To right, 4 tall round-arched margin glazed plain sashes, mid C19. INTERIOR: mainly refitted late C20, retains fragments of C19 cornices. (Nottingham Industrial Archaeological Society Journal: Oldfield G: Nottingham: 1983-: 3-7).

Listing NGR: SK5764339897

Selected Sources

Books and journals
'Nottingham Industrial Archaeology Society Journal' in Nottingham Industrial Archaeology Society Journal, (1983), 3-7

National Grid Reference: SK 57643 39897

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1255184 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Sep-2018 at 12:38:11.

End of official listing