This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

WILFORD BRIDGE TOLL HOUSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: WILFORD BRIDGE TOLL HOUSE

List entry Number: 1255202

Location

WILFORD BRIDGE TOLL HOUSE, VICTORIA EMBANKMENT

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: City of Nottingham

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 30-Nov-1995

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 458930

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NOTTINGHAM

SK53NE VICTORIA EMBANKMENT 646-1/7/668 (South side) Wilford Bridge Toll House

GV II

Bridge toll house, now shop. 1870. By EW Hughes. Restored c1975. Red brick, with ashlar dressings and hipped slate roof, and external rear wall stack. Gothic Revival style. Plinth, corbel table with fleurons. 2 storeys; single bay. Elongated octagonal plan. Windows are pointed arched glazing bar casements with tracery, in moulded ashlar surrounds with shafts. Facing the bridge, to right, a moulded brick pointed arched opening divided by a stone lintel. To left, a ticket window, to right, a doorway. In the tympanum, a toll board dated 1826. To left, a window. Above, a lead clad dormer with a similar window. Each return has a similar window and dormer. INTERIOR refitted as a shop, late C20. The original bridge was a cast-iron structure by Andrew Handyside of Derby. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Nottinghamshire: London: 1979-: 273).

Listing NGR: SK5694538215

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Williamson, E, The Buildings of England: Nottinghamshire, (1979), 273

National Grid Reference: SK 56945 38215

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1255202 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Sep-2018 at 03:51:49.

End of official listing