PIT AND PENDULUM

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1255205
Date first listed:
30-Nov-1995
Statutory Address:
17, VICTORIA STREET, NOTTINGHAM

Map

Ordnance survey map of PIT AND PENDULUM
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1255205.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Nov-2019 at 19:30:25.

Location

Statutory Address:
17, VICTORIA STREET, NOTTINGHAM

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
City of Nottingham (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SK 57467 39900

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 04/02/2015

SK5739NW 646-1/20/675

NOTTINGHAM, VICTORIA STREET (North side), No.17 (Pit and Pendulum)

(Formerly listed as No.17 (Malthouse Public House))

GV II

Shop and offices, now public house. 1870. By Robert Evans of Nottingham for Lewis & Grundy, ironmongers. Extended in the same style 1873 by Evans & Jolley of Nottingham. Converted late C20. Red brick with ashlar dressings. Roof not visible. Italianate style. Quoins, modillion cornice and mosaic frieze, balustrade with pedestals. Windows are mainly segment-arched plain sashes with moulded ashlar surrounds and ornamented keystones. 4 storeys; 5 window ranges, divided 3:2 by a rusticated strip. Ground floor has 5 openings divided by ashlar pilasters with coloured tile panels. Full width cornice, and above the inner pilasters, a square relief panel with segmental pediment. In the centre bays, C20 windows and shopfronts. In the outer bays, C20 doors. Above, 5 windows on each floor, the fourth floor windows smaller. On the first floor, between the third and fourth bays, a bracket clock with automaton figures of blacksmiths. Included for group value.

Listing NGR: SK5746739900

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
458937
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 26 May 2004
Reference: IOE01/12291/19
Rights: Copyright IoE Patrick Banister. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].