MANOR COTTAGES AND THREE WELL HEADS IMMEDIATELY TO SOUTH

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1255239
Date first listed:
16-Feb-1996
Statutory Address:
MANOR COTTAGES AND THREE WELL HEADS IMMEDIATELY TO SOUTH, B3400

Map

Ordnance survey map of MANOR COTTAGES AND THREE WELL HEADS IMMEDIATELY TO SOUTH
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1255239 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-May-2019 at 02:45:12.

Location

Statutory Address:
MANOR COTTAGES AND THREE WELL HEADS IMMEDIATELY TO SOUTH, B3400

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hampshire
District:
Basingstoke and Deane (District Authority)
Parish:
Laverstoke
National Grid Reference:
SU 48669 48806

Details

LAVERSTOKE SU44NE B3400, Freefolk Manor Cottages and three well- heads immediately to south

GV II

Terrace of estate cottages. 1939, by E.T.Mort, for Lord Portal. Stretcher-bond red brick to ground floor, weatherboarded above and with timber-framing in gables. Thatched roof with half-hipped ends, rear pitch of roof is tiled. Red brick axial stacks with weathered brick bases and caps. PLAN: Long range of about 18 estate cottages in a picturesque Domestic Revival style. EXTERIOR: 1 storey and attic. Long range with symmetrical south front with 7-bay centre flanked by two wide half-hipped timber-framed gables, colonnade between the gables with pairs of circular brick columns; the outer gables are the projecting ends of flanking ranges, on butterfly plans, facing outwards. There are through-passages at the centre of each section, the passage at the middle has a moulded stone Tudor arch with an armorial tablet above and oculi to left and right with shouldered arches and cil1s. Metal-frame casements with leaded panes, the corner windows have moulded corner-posts; the attic windows are donners, except for those in the gables. INTERIOR not inspected. In the garden in front of the cottages are three wells with thatched roofs, the centre well has a conical roof NOTE: From 1942 Lord Portal was Minister for Works and Buildings and First commissioner of Works and Public Building, in which capacity he introduced prefabricated houses, which became known as 'Portal houses'.



Listing NGR: SU4884848619

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
459012
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].