646-1/6/734 WOLLATON PARK
12-JUL-72 WOLLATON PARK
STABLE AND SERVICE RANGES 100 METRES W
EST OF WOLLATON HALL
(Formerly listed as:
STABLE AND SERVICE BUILDING AT WOLLATO
Stable and service ranges, now industrial museum, gallery, shop and offices. 1743 and 1774, addition 1829 and alterations by Sir Jeffry Wyatville c. 1830, altered and extended C20. Sandstone ashlar and red brick, with ashlar dressings and gabled and hipped roofs of graduated Westmoreland slate and plain clay tile.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys, 2 ranges that to south built 1743, that to north built circa 1774, with single-storey Riding School of ca.1829. 3 courtyards, 2 form quadrangles, the third a cart & implement yard. Formal front to south-east within 1743 range. Square pavilions with pyramidal roofs to the north-east within 1774 range, containing Dovecote to north-west corner. To the north and north-west single-storey ranges of brick outbuildings with coped brick gables.
STABLE RANGE (1743): south-east elevation; 13 bays, ashlar, formal classical front has rusticated ground floor with ashlar plinth and first floor band, cornice and ashlar parapet. To ground floor round-arched windows with raised keystones. Shouldered architraves to first floor windows. C18 sashes to first floor, C19 joinery to ground floor, part in-filled with ashlar slabs (1830). Centre 3 bays projecting, with engaged Ionic portico, triangular pediment and elaborate decorative Rococo tympanum and central clock in enriched surround. Tympanum; carved coat-of-arms of the Willoughby family incorporating figures of a monk & Hercules, a central cartouche, surmounted with a baronet's coronet. Central round-arched entrance with raised keystone, above, clock face with carved Rococo ornament & C18 dial. To centre doorway a fanlight and pair of panelled doors reinforced with cast-iron outer frame and 3 panels inset with cast-iron strapwork design (1830). Under the arch, a matching cast-iron strapwork panelled pair of doors to courtyard elevation. Doorway flanked by niches with arched windows above.
West and east elevations 1743 range; 9 bays, brick with raised brick parapet, stone cornice, plinth, raised rusticated quoins and dressings. Graduated Westmoreland slate roofs. West elevation regular fenestration with flat-headed windows, at first floor shouldered architraves. Joinery mainly C18, incorporating blind windows. East elevation similar with 3 doors and overlights and mid-late C19 glazing bar sashes.
South courtyard; continuous dentilled eaves band, brick ridge stacks, plain tiled roofs, sandstone plinth. At first floor regular fenestration with segment-arched openings with mixture of C18 leaded-light casements, C19 and C20 sashes and casements. West side; brick porch with dentilled eaves band and hipped lead roof, 6-panel door with overlight and fanlight. South side; blind windows to ground floor, 2 decorative lead rainwater pipes and hoppers dated 1743. North side; central round-arched carriage arch. To the right 3 carriage stores with paired panelled doors.
EAST ELEVATION SERVICE RANGE (1774): 2 storey, brick, stone cornice, brick parapet. Central round-arched doorway with ashlar Gibbs surround flanked by segment-arched windows and doors on each floor. 2 storey end pavilion, stone cornice, hipped roof with lead finial, 2 openings on each floor.
MIDDLE SERVICE COURTYARD: Graduated Westmoreland slate roofs throughout. The range to the north and east is ca. 1774, the range to the west ca.1829.
West Riding School single-storey range ca.1829. Brick with C20 timber casements. Central doorway with moulded brick rebates. Interior has series of timber king-post trusses. East range; 2 storey, ground floor range of wide 6-panel stable doors with moulded brick surrounds and fanlights. First floor; mainly timber casements. 2 brick stacks on inner wall. Central archway and brick passage with round-arched rebated brick surround. 2 round arched niches at low level for tapped water supply. South side; 2 storey plus basement, brick dentilled eaves band, brick plinth short section of sloping wall with moulded brick coping. Behind this retaining wall at basement level a series of low barrel-vaulted chambers, possibly dog-kennels or stores, returning into the east range with a single chamber, on either side a small oculus. North side; former hay barn (to north elevation 3 tiers of breathers), to south elevation 2 segmental arched double panelled doors with rebated brick surrounds. A central round-arched carriage entrance through to outer north courtyard.
Against the Riding School range to the west side, a wooden cased lead water pump with 2 spouts, dated 1826 with motto and baronet's figurehead.
NORTH COURTYARD: to the east a range of implement stores with a continuous lean-to slate roof with brick piers. Behind this a walled botanical garden, enclosed on all sides by a 3 metre wall with moulded brick coping. To the west side of the outer courtyard a 4 metre brick wall with gabled moulded brick coping with a continuous slate lean-to attached to the west. To the north east corner a cartshed and salt store, brick with graduated slate and cement sheet roof.
To the north west detached 2 double ranges of single storey farm buildings with coped gables.
INTERIOR: 1743 ranges incorporate 2 matching C18 open stairwells with vase and stem balusters, 3 flights, some replaced, and moulded handrail. Boiler room contains 2 complete surviving stables and stalls of 1743. To south-east corner a C19 laundry with washtubs and coppers. To the 1774 range a bakehouse with two ovens, and a dairy with in-situ cheese making equipment and a separate tiled milk-separating dairy room with early C19 fittings. The first floor range to the 1743 building contains mid C18 cornices, doors and architraves. The range to the south-west also incorporates panelled shutters.
Dovecote with brick nesting boxes restored 1985.
References; "Wollaton Hall, Historical report", Colin Briden 1999 (Woodhall Planning & Conservation), The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Nottinghamshire
Listing NGR: SK5307439224