FAIRFIELD

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1255404

Date first listed: 05-Feb-1996

Statutory Address: FAIRFIELD, PRIEST LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of FAIRFIELD
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1255404 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Nov-2018 at 05:49:08.

Location

Statutory Address: FAIRFIELD, PRIEST LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cumbria

District: South Lakeland (District Authority)

Parish: Lower Allithwaite

National Grid Reference: SD 37877 78972

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LOWER ALLITHWAITE

SD 3778 PRIEST LANE, Cartmel 1269- /8/10002 Fairfield

II

House. c1800 with later C19 alterations, and incorporating part of an earlier dwelling. Roughcast rubble stone, with some ashlar dressings, and a slated roof with overhanging eaves and verges. Wide gable chimney stacks with clay pots. L-plan house, the rear wing lower than the front range, and a remnant of an earlier building. FRONT: symmetrical 3-bay elevation of 2 storeys and attics, with central doorway flanked by Tuscan columns which support a flat lintel with cornice above. Double 3-panel doors each with upper 2 panels glazed. Flanking the doorway are 6 over 6 pane sash windows, with fine glazing bars and sashes without horns. 3 first floor windows of matching pattern and size. REAR: tall first floor stair window to centre, with semi-circular head, and intersecting glazing bars. Narrow 2-storey wing projects at east end, and a single storey outbuilding is attached at the west end. INTERIOR: Entrance vestibule with patterned tiles to floor. Inner doorway with 6-panel door, the lower 2 panels raised and fielded, the upper panels glazed. Inner hall with moulded plasterwork to cornice and ceiling. Shallow arched opening to central staircase. Dog-leg stair with turned balusters and broad moulded handrail. Interior doorways with panelled doors and moulded architraves. Panelled reveals to windows of principal ground floor rooms, which also retain marble surrounds to hearths. First floor room with large rectangular panelling. Lower range to rear has C18 2-panel door, and built-in cupboards with panelled doors to dining room. Below, a small vaulted cellar with a 2-light mullioned window. HISTORY: A building is shown on the site of the present house on a map of 1795 which may be the earlier house, part of which is now incorporated into the present building. The building is a near complete example of an early C19 house in which the local vernacular style has been largely replaced by polite, fashionable detailing as part of a comprehensive remodelling. ____________



Listing NGR: SD3787778972

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 459641

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing