CHEWTON PLACE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1255451
Date first listed:
19-Jun-1975
Date of most recent amendment:
08-Mar-1996
Statutory Address:
CHEWTON PLACE, CHEWTON ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHEWTON PLACE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1255451 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Sep-2019 at 03:50:39.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHEWTON PLACE, CHEWTON ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Bath and North East Somerset (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Compton Dando
National Grid Reference:
ST6564166943

Details

ST66NE 3/10003 19.06.75

COMPTON DANDO CHEWTON ROAD, Chewton Keynsham (South East Side) Chewton Place (Formerly listed as : CHEWTON ROAD (South East Side) Chewton Place)

II

Detached house, now conference centre. Circa 1762; extended c.1786; altered early C19; extensively remodelled in 1860- 70; restored in 1968 after flood damage and further extended in 1987 -8. Colourwashed stucco with limestone ashlar dressings and gabled slate roofs. Classical style. Double-depth plan with central stair hall and reception rooms to either side; late C20 extensions to south-east and north-east corners. 2-storey; 9-window range. Main south front with central 3-bay recessed section flanked by 3-bay wing to left and 2-bay wing to right. Ground floor has section of projecting late C19 loggia to left which continues around the west front: circular columns with foliated capitals and plain entablature with bracketed cornice; decorative roundels above capitals with foliage and wolves' heads. The loggia is developed from projecting late C19 extension to centre providing porch and further accommodation; ashlar dressings and bracketed cornices tie the extension stylistically into the loggia. Porch with round-arched doorway giving onto loggia with part-glazed late C19 door and semicircular fanlight; sash window to south with glazing bars only in top section. Canted bay set centrally in extension with plate glass sashes; 2 late C19 French windows to loggia. C20 extension to south-east corner has two C20 12-pane sashes and one multi-paned window. First floor has late C20 12-pane sashes throughout. External stack to left with ashlar shaft and late C19 side colonettes; armorial stone above central first-floor window and round-arched balustrade to centre section with end colonettes connected to 2 ashlar roof stacks. Synunetrical 2-storey; 5-window west front with recessed central bay and slightly projecting 2-bay wings. Loggia extends across southernmost wing; canted bay to northern wing with plate glass sashes and bracketed cornice; plain pedimented gables to wings with bracketed cornice. 2 French windows below loggia; 12-pane sashes to ground floor centre bay and throughout first floor. INTERIOR: Stairwell has mid C18 bracketed cornice and egg-and-dart frieze; late C19 staircase with carved balusters. Good late C19 cornice and central rose in ground floor room to north-west. HISTORICAL NOTE: The house was built as a mill owner's dwelling across the river from a paper mill on an island between two waterways. The mill was in operation until 1749 when it and the owner's house was destroyed by fire. The house and mill were rebuilt by 1762 when the latter was producing logwood chips for the dying industry .The house was in domestic occupation until 1968 when it was bought by Imperial Tobacco for use as a training centre; sold in 1987, it is now used as a conference centre.

Listing NGR: ST6564166943

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
459719
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 28 Aug 1999
Reference: IOE01/01571/01
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David J Lewis. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].