This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1255521



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.


District: County of Herefordshire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Leominster

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 15-Mar-1996

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 459834

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



SO4958 SOUTH STREET 808-1/2/317 (East side) Moravian Church and attached Manse


Church and manse. Dated 1759, church altered 1875 and manse c1900. Red brick with Welsh slate roof and brick ridge and end stacks. Single long range with single-storey church to left and 2-storey manse to right. EXTERIOR: church a 3-window range of C19 stone 2-light windows probably in the original openings under brick segmental arches and corniced keystones. Octagonal open lantern on roof ridge. Stone plinth and moulded stone eaves which continue to right to the manse. To left a 6-panel door, the upper panels glazed, with 2/2 sash over, then a 2-storey canted bay with 2/2 sashes, then a similar bay in a c1900 extension and a door with overlight. Brick inscribed 1759 at extreme right immediately before extension. On left end the church entrance with 6-panel door. Church has similar windows to rear and manse has further 2/2 sashes and lean-tos. INTERIOR: the orientation of the church was changed in 1875 from a central cross axis entrance (blocking visible below central windows) and the fittings date from this period, but the panelled-front gallery may be a reworking of the original. The roof now has open trusses, but there was originally an attic because there is a blocked doorway leading from the attic of the manse. Manse retains 6-panel doors, upper flights of stick baluster stair and roof with 2 tiers of collars and purlins. HISTORY: Leominster's Moravian congregation was established c1750 and the church consecrated in 1761 by Bishop Gambold. (Stell C: Inventory of Nonconformist Chapels & Meeting-Houses in C.England: London: 1986-: 112).

Listing NGR: SO4961458666

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SO 49614 58666


© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1255521 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Sep-2018 at 09:48:54.

End of official listing