15, SANDHILL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1255543

Date first listed: 25-Oct-1994

Statutory Address: 15, SANDHILL

Map

Ordnance survey map of 15, SANDHILL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1255543 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 11-Dec-2018 at 06:30:25.

Location

Statutory Address: 15, SANDHILL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Newcastle upon Tyne (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: NZ 25231 63879

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NZ 2563 NW NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE SANDHILL (east side) 1833-24/10030 No 15 GV II Bank. 1880 by John Burnup & Sons for Lambton & Co. Ground floor remodelled 1990 by Waller & Sons, Gloucester, for Lloyds Bank. Free classical style. Sandstone ashlar with rock faced plinth, graduated dark slate roof with ashlar dressings. 4 storeys, 3 windows, the outer paired. Rock faced plinth to rusticated ground floor. At left, internal steps up to wide double panelled doors recessed in hollow reveals of arch with elliptical head to plain overlight. 3 round-arched windows to right have plain glazing with transoms. Faceted key and rusticated voussoirs to door and to 2 right windows; left window, at centre of floor, has moulded head resting on impost string with supports scroll brackets to first floor balcony. Fluted composite giant pilasters define bays on first and second floors and support full-width entablature with modillion cornice. Architraves to pairs windows in outer bays of all upper floors and to single central windows, all with wood mullions and transoms. Outer first floor windows have wide pediments, central a segmental pediment, all on scroll brackets and with stone balustrades resting on floor string, the central a balcony projecting on brackets and partly repaired in brick. Third floor has square-headed windows in architraves resting on second floor entablature; shallow pilasters with crocket capitals define bays and support plain top entablature with eaves gutter cornice. Balustraded roof parapet, partly repaired in brick, is interrupted by central tripartite casement with plain pilasters and date 1881 in segmental pediment with palmette finial. Pedimented dormers in outer bays rise behind parapet. Mansard roof has stone gable coping and tall ashlar end stacks. (Plans by John Burnup & Sons: T186/934; Alterations by Waller & Sons: T186/9234).

Listing NGR: NZ2523163879

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 459867

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing