WALLS AND GATES OF THE BOAT BASIN, DOCKS NUMBER 4 5 AND SLIPWAY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1255552
Date first listed:
15-Mar-1977
Date of most recent amendment:
13-Aug-1999
Statutory Address:
WALLS AND GATES OF THE BOAT BASIN, DOCKS NUMBER 4 5 AND SLIPWAY, ANCHOR LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of WALLS AND GATES OF THE BOAT BASIN, DOCKS NUMBER 4 5 AND SLIPWAY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1255552 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Sep-2019 at 17:05:57.

Location

Statutory Address:
WALLS AND GATES OF THE BOAT BASIN, DOCKS NUMBER 4 5 AND SLIPWAY, ANCHOR LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Kent
District:
Swale (District Authority)
National Park:
N/A
National Grid Reference:
TQ 90853 75334

Details

TQ 9075 SE ANCHOR LANE Sheerness Dockyard 933/5/111 Walls and gates of the Boat 15.03.1977 Basin, docks numbers 4, 5 and Slipway

GV II*

Walls and gates of basin, dry and graving dock and slipway, and c60 cast- iron bollards around the docks. c1814, by John Rennie Snr, for the Navy Board, altered early C20. Rusticated granite ashlar and cast-iron gates and caissons. PLAN: square wet basin with parallel docks and slip along the E side, the dry dock to the S, graving to the middle, and the building slip to the N. The dry dock (No.4) has stepped sides in two sections, two slides on each side, and curved head, with Rennie's original curved iron inner gates, and an iron outer caisson. The graving dock (No.5) has a wide, flat floor with steep C20 concrete sides and end having been extended, and an 1866 iron caisson by Easton and Anderson; the slip a sloping stone floor with low stepped sides and rails for a boat carriage. Mooring bollards inscribed John Sturges & Co, Bowling Ironworks, Near Bradford, Yorkshire. HISTORY: the whole dockyard was a notable feat of marine engineering, with all the masonry carried on piles, and it represented the greatest piece of dock engineering by one of the great engineers of the C19. The No.4 frigate dry dock is of the type Rennie pioneered at Chatham No.3 dry dock in c1821 (qv), but was the first dry dock to be fitted with iron gates. The survival of the gates makes No.4 dock a uniquely complete example ofearlyC19 dock technology, which Rennie perfected and refined. Unlike the other royal dockyards, Sheerness was all rebuilt at the same time, and with the infilling of the Great and Small Basins, this is the last remaining operative dock from Rennie's model layout. It forms a group with the later Boat Store and Buildings 84 and 86 (qqv), within Rennie's model layout of a complete early C19 dockyard. (Sources: Coad J: The Royal Dockyards 1690-1850: Aldershot: 1989: 107; Rennie Sir J: The Formation and Construction of British and Foreign Harbours: London: 1851 ; Sheerness, The Dockyard, Defences and Blue Town: 1995:1).



Listing NGR: TQ9085375334

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
459883
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Sheerness The Dockyard Defences and Blue Town, (1995), 1
Coad, J G, The Royal Dockyards 1690-1850: Architecture and Engineering Works of the Sailing Navy, (1989), 107
Rennie, J, The Formation and Construction of British and Foreign Harbours, (1851)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 18 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/04287/23
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Ian Surita. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].