ST MARYS CONVENT CHURCH

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1255558

Date first listed: 05-Aug-1976

Statutory Address: ST MARYS CONVENT CHURCH, CHURCH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of ST MARYS CONVENT CHURCH
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1255558 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Nov-2018 at 13:10:39.

Location

Statutory Address: ST MARYS CONVENT CHURCH, CHURCH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Leeds (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SE 31304 33169

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LEEDS

SE3133 CHURCH ROAD, Richmond Hill 714-1/36/1039 (East side) 05/08/76 St Mary's Convent Church

GV II*

Also known as: Mount St Mary's Church CHURCH ROAD Richmond Hill. Roman Catholic church. 1852. By Joseph Hansom and W Wardell, chancel and transepts added 1866, by Edward Welby Pugin. Gothic Revival style. Coursed rock-faced masonry, steep-pitched slate roof. PLAN: tall nave and chancel, N and S transepts, tall N and S aisles with 4-light Decorated windows, no clerestory. EXTERIOR: high gables over aisle windows and gables over tall narrow windows to the polygonal apse. Decorated window tracery; rose window in transepts; very large 2 x 4-light west window with geometric tracery and wide moulded arch entrance below. Hoodmould stops and column capitals remain uncarved. Greek crosses at apices of gables. INTERIOR: many fittings stripped out and church not in use at time of survey, but fine proportions and remains of important features survive. Very high 7-bay nave, clustered columns, capitals uncarved; arched recesses for side chapels in S aisle, one with marble altar and reredos; in N aisle triple-arched confessionals with trefoil decoration. 2-bay transepts with polychrome tiled floors and remains of altars on E walls. Wooden floor and arch-braced roof to nave, 7 steps up to choir, rib-vaulting, attached columns with elaborate carved capitals, tiled floor, altar with plaster frieze on frontal, 3 crocketed arched niches in windows, plaster frieze depicts church and lay leaders worshipping the Blessed Sacrament. Windows boarded but stained glass by John Hardman Powell survives. An important building on a prominent site.

Listing NGR: SE3130433169

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 465871

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing