CHURCH OF ST JAMES

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1255579
Date first listed:
05-Aug-1976
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JAMES, YORK ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JAMES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1255579 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Sep-2019 at 01:21:55.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JAMES, YORK ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Leeds (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SE 35696 35946

Details

LEEDS

SE3535NE YORK ROAD, Seacroft 714-1/66/1081 (West side) 05/08/76 Church of St James

GV II

Anglican church. 1845-46, additions 1988. By T Hellyer. Dressed stone, stone tile roof. Gothic Revival style. EXTERIOR: tall narrow lancets, some paired, tripartite at east end. Nave, chancel, N aisle and transept, S vestry, small octagonal room off, S gabled porch and N tower in 3 stages with original clock, stair turret with conical stone roof, stone broach spire, added lean-to bay on NW corner. INTERIOR: 5-bay nave, W end 2 bays screened off and kitchen/toilet added 1988; stone corbels support roof trusses of hammer-beam type. moulded chancel arch flanked by paired niches. Original octagonal font now in churchyard; present font 1878, given in memory of Ann Wilson, of alabaster and Blue John from Derbyshire. In N aisle: brass memorial plaque to John Wilson, 1868. Probably original stained-glass panels in chancel windows depict the Resurrection and Crucifixion, saints and evangelists. In the S wall of the chancel the remains of a dado of Dalton tiles, 1877, pelican and vine motifs; memorial plaque on N wall of N transept, now behind the organ: Mary, daughter of John Wilson of Seacroft Hall, wife of Major General Bush, died at Bath 25 May 1883. Seacroft village was originally within the parish of St Mary's, Whitkirk. The foundation stone of this church was laid July 1844 and the building was funded by the Vicar of Whitkirk and John Wilson and family of Seacroft Hall (demolished); local farmers supplied free cartage of materials. The first incumbent was the Revd HH Blanchard. 3 bells were given by Martha Wilson in 1865, these were re-cast 1984. (Church Leaflet: 'St James, Seacroft Leeds 14': 1990-).



Listing NGR: SE3569635946

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
465846
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Other
St James Seacroft Leeds (Church Leaflet), (1990)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 02 Jul 2001
Reference: IOE01/03881/25
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Steve Novak. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].