MEMORIAL TO ELIZA AND WILLIAM HILL APPROXIMATELY 30 METRES SOUTH OF CHURCH OF ST JOHN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1255581
Date first listed:
11-Sep-1996
Statutory Address:
MEMORIAL TO ELIZA AND WILLIAM HILL APPROXIMATELY 30 METRES SOUTH OF CHURCH OF ST JOHN, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of MEMORIAL TO ELIZA AND WILLIAM HILL APPROXIMATELY 30 METRES SOUTH OF CHURCH OF ST JOHN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1255581.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2019 at 18:51:12.

Location

Statutory Address:
MEMORIAL TO ELIZA AND WILLIAM HILL APPROXIMATELY 30 METRES SOUTH OF CHURCH OF ST JOHN, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Leeds (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SE 27469 40203

Details

LEEDS

SE24SE CHURCH LANE, Adel 714-1/2/467 (East side (off)) Memorial to Eliza and William Hill approx. 30m south of Church of St John

GV II

Memorial. 1884 and 1889. By Hodgson of Leeds. Gritstone. A cross in Norman-style arch, flanked by seated angels. Plinth inscription: 'In Loving Memory of/ Eliza/ wife of William Hill/ The Heath, Adel/ Born April 6th 1825/ Died April 24th 1884/ Also/ William Hill F.R.I.B.A. Architect/ Born June 19th 1827/ Died January 5th 1889'. The inscriptions to left and right record Herbert Hill, 1862-1931 and William Hill, 1865-1926, sons. The grave plot is enclosed by stone curbs and bollards. The sculptor's name is carved on the back. William Hill designed the Leeds Chest Clinic, No.74 New Briggate (qv).



Listing NGR: SE2747040220

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
465848
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 16 Sep 2001
Reference: IOE01/05020/25
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Keith Brightwell. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].