This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

ACORN GLASS MERCHANTS PREMISES

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: ACORN GLASS MERCHANTS PREMISES

List entry Number: 1255584

Location

ACORN GLASS MERCHANTS PREMISES, CHURCH LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Leeds

District Type: Metropolitan Authority

Parish: Non Civil Parish

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 11-Sep-1996

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 465853

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LEEDS

SE23NE CHURCH LANE, Meanwood 714-1/6/955 (West side) Acorn Glass Merchants' premises

II

Formerly known as: Woodside Wesleyan Chapel CHURCH LANE Meanwood. Wesleyan chapel, now warehouse and offices. Dated 1811, additions 1883, altered C20. Built by Samuel Prince, class leader and stone mason. Coursed squared gritstone, roof replaced in concrete tiles. Single storey, 5 windows. Plinth. Central board door to chapel entrance, round-arched window with date plaque, 'AD 1811' above, in plain stone surround with impost blocks. Flanking windows similar, 5 x 4-pane sashes with glazing bars. Entrance left, between windows 1 and 2, in plain stone surround. Rear: a lean-to range, original windows. Left return: added bay not of special interest. Right return, to road: narrow window to ground floor, possibly an entrance originally; lunette window to gable. INTERIOR: not inspected. The building was sold to George Barber in 1883 who added the mock timber-framed end bay and converted the chapel to a laundry which closed c1973. (Hopwood, W A & Casperson, F P: Meanwood, Village, Valley, Industry and People: 1986-: 33; Hopwood, A & Rose, S: Sesquicentenary Story: 150 years of Meanwood Methodism: 1961-: 13).



Listing NGR: SE2847937222

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Hopwood, A, Rose, S , Sesquicentenary Story 150 years of Meanwood Methodism, (1961), 13
Hopwood, A W, Casperson, F P , Meanwood Village Valley Industry and People, (1986), 33

National Grid Reference: SE2847937222

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1255584 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Sep-2018 at 12:39:24.

End of official listing