SCHOOL OF EDUCATION

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1255586
Date first listed:
11-Sep-1996
Statutory Address:
24 AND 26, LODGE STREET
Statutory Address:
SCHOOL OF EDUCATION, 6 AND 7, HILLARY PLACE

Map

Ordnance survey map of SCHOOL OF EDUCATION
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1255586 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Sep-2019 at 12:16:46.

Location

Statutory Address:
24 AND 26, LODGE STREET
Statutory Address:
SCHOOL OF EDUCATION, 6 AND 7, HILLARY PLACE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Leeds (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SE 29570 34536

Details

LEEDS

SE2934NE HILLARY PLACE, University Campus 714-1/72/1154 (South side) Nos.6 AND 7 School of Education

GV II

Includes: Nos.24 AND 26 LODGE STREET University Campus. Pair of houses, now part of the University of Leeds School of Education. Completed 1861. Possibly by Elisha Backhouse who lived in No.6; No.7 for Joseph Ingham, nail manufacturer. Red brick, stone details, slate roof, chimney stacks forward of ridge, left and right. A mirror pair, of 3 storeys, 6 first-floor windows. The doorway to No.7 (right) altered to a window but retaining the original rusticated pilasters, entablature with carved panel, moulded dentilled cornice and scrolled panel above, as No.6. Fenestration: 4-pane sashes; architraves to ground floor, keystone and bracketed sills to 1st floor; shorter 2nd-floor windows have flat brick arches and stone sills. Stone band at 1st-floor level, boxed-in eaves. INTERIOR: the narrow entrance hall to No.6 has paired columns in antis, a round arch and egg-and-dart moulding with modillion cornice. The full-height staircase has turned balusters some with deeply carved leaf motifs, ramped handrail. Joseph Ingham's manufactory was at Calf Garth Mill, Hunslet. The pair of houses was purchased by the University in 1963.



Listing NGR: SE2957034536

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
465855
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 18 Jul 2004
Reference: IOE01/12328/02
Rights: Copyright IoE Krystyna Szulecka. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].