COLUMN AT SOUTH WEST END OF MEANWOOD PARK AT NGR 2798 3734

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1255591

Date first listed: 11-Sep-1996

Statutory Address: COLUMN AT SOUTH WEST END OF MEANWOOD PARK AT NGR 2798 3734, HOLLIN LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of COLUMN AT SOUTH WEST END OF MEANWOOD PARK AT NGR 2798 3734
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1255591 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Nov-2018 at 15:21:36.

Location

Statutory Address: COLUMN AT SOUTH WEST END OF MEANWOOD PARK AT NGR 2798 3734, HOLLIN LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Leeds (Metropolitan Authority)

Parish: Non Civil Parish

National Grid Reference: SE2798437324

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LEEDS

SE23NE HOLLIN LANE, Meanwood 714-1/6/967 (North side (off)) Column at south-west end of Meanwood Park at NGR 2798 3734

II

Column. c1672, erected here c1847 for Edward Oates. Gritstone and ashlar. Square plinth and moulded pedestal, a tall Roman Doric column. The S face of the pedestal has a bronze plaque with inscription: 'IN MEMORY OF/ EDWIN KITSON CLARK/ LT. COL. D.L. T.D. M.A. F.S.A./ AND/ (GEORG)INA KITSON CLARK/ WHO LIVED AT MEANWOODSIDE/ FROM 1904 TO 1954, AND GAVE/ TO LEEDS UNSTINTED SERVICE'. HISTORICAL NOTE: the grounds of Meanwoodside were laid out c1838-1865, during the lifetime of Edward Oates. He was a leading member of the Mill Hill Unitarian Chapel in Park Row (qv) and it has been recorded that the 2 columns were brought from the old chapel of 1672/74 when it was demolished to make way for the existing building in c1847 which was built of Meanwood stone. The Kitson Clarks lived at Meanwoodside 1904-1954 and it was demolished soon after 1954, the grounds becoming part of a public park. (Hopwood A (pers. comm.): 1993-).



Listing NGR: SE2798437324

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 465860

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing