Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1255610.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2021 at 08:29:55.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Leeds (Metropolitan Authority)
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
SE 27462 40235



SE24SE CHURCH LANE, Adel 714-1/2/466 (East side (off)) 26/09/63 Church of St John the Baptist


Anglican church. 1150-1170, C14 and C16 alterations. West gable and bellcote 1838-39 by RD Chantrell, roof restored by RD Chantrell in 1843, restoration 1879. Coursed squared gritstone, stone slate roofs. PLAN: small Norman 2-cell church composed of nave and lower-roofed chancel, bellcote over W end renewed 1839. EXTERIOR: a small unmoulded priest's doorway in the chancel S wall. In the chancel S wall a very fine gabled portal of 1150-55: the doorway is round-arched and has an unbroken roll-moulding and 4 orders, beaked heads on the innermost, rich chevron ornament to the 2nd and 4th and 2 roll-mouldings to the 3rd. The beak-heads and chevrons of the 2 inner orders are continued down the jambs below the carved capitals; the 2 outer orders have round shafts in the jambs, with carved capitals and bases. In the gable a weathered relief sculpture, Christ in Majesty with symbols including the Lamb with flag, the cross, sun and moon as described in Revelations, Chapter 4. The board door with iron studs has a C13 bronze closing ring of fine workmanship depicting a monster swallowing a man. Fenestration: small narrow Norman round-headed windows, those on E and W ends reconstructed; a flat-headed C14 Decorated window in chancel, S side; 2 flat-arched Perpendicular windows to nave, S side. Corbel-frieze with faces and beasts, similar frieze with 2 diminishing tiers along W gable, one head at apex. N side: corner and centre pilasters, 4 Norman windows, roll moulding below, corner pilaster to chancel, carved masks and figures to corbel table. Gable copings, cross finials. Vestry attached by short passage to NW side with hollow chamfered arched doorway and trefoil window on E side; vestry has 3-light E window with reset stained glass, gable above has moulded blocking course; on W side a tall external stack with banded top. INTERIOR: 2 steps down into the church; fine chancel arch of 1160-70, 2 orders with chevron/zigzag, beak-head, chain of rectangles; carved capitals with Baptism of Christ, Crucifixion, centaur with bow, horseman with lance. At the W end the font, octagonal and possibly original (found in the graveyard in 1858), the carved oak canopy by Eric Gill, 1921, depicting the Crucifixion, 6 of the Sacraments, and a Christian arriving in heaven. The pulpit of carved oak has

panels carved in linenfold style, a plaque states that it was presented by EW Beckett of Kirkstall Grange in memory of his wife who died in 1891. Stained glass by Henry Gyles of York to his friend Thomas Kirk, in SW chancel c1706 and vestry (former E window) 1681. (Anon.: Adel Parish Church, Guide Book, c1980; The Buildings of England: Pevsner, N (revised by Radcliffe, E): Yorkshire The West Riding: London: 1967-: 338).

Listing NGR: SE2746240237


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Adel Parish Church Guidebook, (c1980)
Pevsner, N, Radcliffe, E, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire: The West Riding, (1967), 338


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 16 Sep 2001
Reference: IOE01/05020/22
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Keith Brightwell. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].